Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Spikes Thread - (IMPORTANT UPDATE -- pg. 3)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Official Spikes Thread - (IMPORTANT UPDATE -- pg. 3)

Okay, since the OTHER thread ended up in the shitter I'm going to open a new one for those members that want to share information or ask questions about Spikes Tactical.

I would suggest you guys keep this thread technical and about your individual carbines (meaning first hand experience) or use it to ask any questions you might have, like if you're considering buying one and want some answers to questions you might have.

If you want to take pot shots at other manufactures, other members or Grant this thread and this forum are not for you. If you want to compare your Spikes to BCM, COLT, LMT, LWRC, FN or baby Jesus you better be prepared to back it up with facts not internet marketing blabber.

I said it in the other thread (you either ignored it because it wasn't what you wanted to hear or you were too concerned with what was said on ar15.com) but I'll say one final time: I have no problem with Spikes, their carbines or components. I do have a problem with 20+ cheerleading posts. This is a technical forum so I recommend you discuss the technical aspects and stay away from the bullshit.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 10-07-10 at 10:34.

Feedback Score

Spikes Piston Upper

Ok, I'll kick it off with a question about Spikes Tactical Piston Upper.. Spikes is in my back yard (so to speak) and it would be nice and handy to just drive over there and pick one up if it is worth it.

I have a lower just sitting around and want to put together a piston upper. Anyone have experience with the Spikes piston upper they would like to share....

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've had a Spikes Midlength LE carbine since they first came out back in late April. I've only shot 200 rounds, but no problems so far. I used 30+ year old PMC 5.56 20 round packs, some equally old loose FHM 5.56, and a box of new Hornady 55gr FMJ/BT.

Once I get some homework done with, I'll post pictures of the targets from both range trips.

Feedback Score
    I apoligize if the answer has been posted elsewhere, but I wanted to ask if Rob's magazine artilce in Black Guns regarding his review of the Spikes AR has been issued yet?

Feedback Score

Spikes 9mm AR

For some reason I cant get this gun out of my head since I shot one. My local shop has a few of them.

I am in NJ and 9mm AR's just dont seem to popular so everyone I know is telling me not to get it because its a novelty and it will wear off. The keep saying you have a regular .223 AR why would you get a 9mm one.

Can I get some opinions from those of you that have them.

Here is a pic of the one I am looking at except it is all black no green

Feedback Score
    I saw a vid the other day of that FA 9mm AR. I don't think I've seen many finer looking ways to burn up ammo.

I'm patiently waiting for my very first upper to show up, humble 16" middy from AIM. I don't think I've ever owned a long-gun that wasn't 50 years old and a veteran a time or two over.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jetspeed8 View Post
    Ok, I'll kick it off with a question about Spikes Tactical Piston Upper.. Spikes is in my back yard (so to speak) and it would be nice and handy to just drive over there and pick one up if it is worth it.

I have a lower just sitting around and want to put together a piston upper. Anyone have experience with the Spikes piston upper they would like to share....
    My understanding is that the Spike's piston upper is just an Adams Arms upper with Spike's branding. With that in mind, it would probably be best to simply search for threads about Adams Arms.

There are only a few gas piston retrofits that I hear good things about on this forum (HK416, Addax GPU, PWS)... I haven't read anything particularly bad about the AA setup.

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    My understanding is that the Spike's piston upper is just an Adams Arms upper with Spike's branding. With that in mind, it would probably be best to simply search for threads about Adams Arms.

There are only a few gas piston retrofits that I hear good things about on this forum (HK416, Addax GPU, PWS)... I haven't read anything particularly bad about the AA setup.
    Bingo, the Spike's Tactical Piston upper is simply an Adam's Arms piston kit with the Spike's logo on it and a selectable gas system. If memory serves me correctly, the Spike's piston upper has an adjustable gas system like the Ruger SR556 and they also have the standard Adam's Arms piston conversion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees31 View Post
    For some reason I cant get this gun out of my head since I shot one. My local shop has a few of them.

I am in NJ and 9mm AR's just dont seem to popular so everyone I know is telling me not to get it because its a novelty and it will wear off. The keep saying you have a regular .223 AR why would you get a 9mm one.

Can I get some opinions from those of you that have them.

Here is a pic of the one I am looking at except it is all black no green

My first AR was a 9mm. I bought it because at the time, I was shooting 9mm handgun a lot at an indoor range that didn't allow rifle calibers. I was interested in an AR, I didn't belong to a private club with a range at the time, and the nearest public outdoor range wasn't conveniently located. So, an AR chambered in 9mm seemed to fit the bill.

I used it quite a bit for a year or so - and then I got into a private gun club. When I got into the club, I got into 5.56 ARs and trap. I have maybe had the 9mm AR out twice, and I don't believe it has made it out of the safe in the last year.

9mm ARs are fun, and if you're in a situation where you can use it a lot, they can make sense. But as a 'range toy,' they are somewhat expensive, I think. 9mm ammo isn't nearly as cheap now as it was when I was shooting it a lot. If I were looking for an alternative to a 5.56 AR now, I'd probably look at a dedicated .22 upper (like Spike's offers).

All that said, my 9mm AR is never far from my thoughts. Lately I've been thinking about going the SBR route with it. We shall see.
    One doesn't need to be sick to get better.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jetspeed8 View Post

I don't think they're making those any more.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast