Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cheap .223/5.56 reloading?

Feedback Score

cheap .223/5.56 reloading?

I've been reloading off and on for the last few years, mostly handgun ammo. i have tons of 5.56 and .223 brass. I've been pricing components over the last few weeks and have a couple questions.
    the cheapest i've found bullets for is about $100 per 1000 projectiles. add on powder, primers and amount of time it takes to do it (with a single stage press) i'd almost rather just spend $250 per 1000 loaded bullets. does anyone have any suggestions to make my reloading cheaper or easier?
    i have my scoped rifles for shooting sub moa, but with my AR's i'm looking for some decent rounds that i can buy or load in bulk for cheap.
    any input or suggestions would be appreciated

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd say buy those rounds and also reload your stock of brass and bullets. Reloading isn't cheap...it just allows more shooting. I like www.grafs.com for the components, but there are many worthy vendors out there.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The cheapest I've seen is the pulled bullets from military surplus. You can also buy the pulled powder. I have not bought any but that's the way I will go when it's time. I still have to get all the case prep stuff for rifle and the dies. I'm only doing 9mm and .45 at this time so there will be some learning curve here. What I've found prices of about $50/1000 bullets, and $94 for 8 pounds of powder this way. This is what got me interested in reloading 5.56... Otherwise it's not much worth my time. By the way, where did you find 1000 loaded rounds for $250? The best I can find is $300.

Here's a link to where I would buy the pulled bullets for my first order...

http://iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&method&object-menu6

Jason
    Last edited by Fried Chicken Blowout; 09-11-10 at 08:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdan81 View Post
    ... with a single stage press.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make my reloading cheaper or easier?

... with my AR's i'm looking for some decent rounds that i can buy or load in bulk for cheap.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated
    Buy a progressive press.

A single-stage is fine if you're loading sub-moa loads for your bolt gun, but if you're looking to reload in bulk, then you really want a progressive.

If the bullet is 10˘, the primer is 2-3˘, and the powder is 5-6˘, then you should be able to reload .223 for 17-19˘

That's still significantly less than cheap steel-cased ammo.

Bimmer
    Last edited by Bimmer; 09-11-10 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdan81 View Post
    I've been reloading off and on for the last few years, mostly handgun ammo. i have tons of 5.56 and .223 brass. I've been pricing components over the last few weeks and have a couple questions.
    the cheapest i've found bullets for is about $100 per 1000 projectiles. add on powder, primers and amount of time it takes to do it (with a single stage press) i'd almost rather just spend $250 per 1000 loaded bullets. does anyone have any suggestions to make my reloading cheaper or easier?
    i have my scoped rifles for shooting sub moa, but with my AR's i'm looking for some decent rounds that i can buy or load in bulk for cheap.
    any input or suggestions would be appreciated
    Well, 10cents per 55grain projectile is too much. They should be around 7 cents for non pulled ones (delivered). For example, here are some just a hair above 7 cents when bought at 4000

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?ma...2e8d85e1acc143

There are other similarly priced ones.

Wideners had Wolf primers on sale for 18$/1000 for SRM. Buy 5000 of those and that comes to around $23-$25/1000 with shipping and hazmat, delivered.

hi tech ammo (Google them) has WC844 surplus powder for $94 per 8lb keg. Get 4 kegs and they pay hazmat. Or pats reloading has the same stuff off and on for a little more.

You should be able to significantly do better price wise on components.

The biggest thing is your press. The time factor of using a single stage press for a high volume round does not make it worth while. Get a progressive. I drink the blue kool aid so I would get the Dillon. But other progressives should do OK too. Some people like RCBS Pro 2000 and some the Hornady LNL progressive.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    www.surplusammo.com has 5.56 55gr (not pulled) for $85.

If you want a little cheaper, montanagold.com has 55gr for about $80 per 1000, but you have to buy a case which is 3500 bullets.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by koz View Post
    www.surplusammo.com has 5.56 55gr (not pulled) for $85.

If you want a little cheaper, montanagold.com has 55gr for about $80 per 1000, but you have to buy a case which is 3500 bullets.
    If you buy 4000 of the LC ones from surplusammo.com they are 7.37 cents a piece. They are good bullets too. I bought some this spring.

Montana gold bullets are supposed to be nice. Never tried their 223 ones
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you think using pulled bullets will have any effect of accuracy or increase load difficulty?

The pull marks don't look to be that deep.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoner View Post
    Do you think using pulled bullets will have any effect of accuracy or increase load difficulty?

The pull marks don't look to be that deep.
    depends what you're doing. if you're trying for sub-moa accuracy they wouldn't be the best choice. if you're shooting steels and stuff inside of a couple hundred yards it should be fine.
    make sure to inspect the bullets as you load, I'd be hesitant to load anything with deep scratches or any more severe deformation.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    If the bullet is 10˘, the primer is 2-3˘, and the powder is 5-6˘, then you should be able to reload .223 for 17-19˘

That's still significantly less than cheap steel-cased ammo.
    I just bought some Golden Tiger at 18˘ a round, though I would certainly prefer to have my own reloads at the same price if I were set up for it.

Widener's has bullets at ~7˘ :http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|281|727
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast