Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cheap .223/5.56 reloading?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks for all the info. This has been the clearest information I've been able to find on a KISS way to reload .223.

Jason

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    pulled bullets from river vally ordinance. http://www.rvow.com/surplus%20bullets.htm

they take forever to fill orders so you have to be patient. i shoot these all the time.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery

Feedback Score
    Total cost for me to load 1000 rds of 55 gr fmj for practice fodder is 148 dollars using mixed commercial and mil. brass.

Half of what 1000 rds of factory ammo.

My equipment costs were around $1000.00 all told. So it would take 7k of 223 loaded to break even. This year I've loaded around 5k of 223 and 8 k of 9mm ($120 per k)
    So I've easily made my money back!

Ftw, I use Dillon equipment, a 550b, RT1200 trimmer, and a super swage.

-dave

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Okay... Thanks chadbag, all my equipment is on order. Most of it should be here this week and the Dillon power trimmer next week. It'll be a little after that before I get some components. My shooting partner and I share the press and he's about to change over to .45 from 9mm and load about 6k rounds of .45... After that, we'll be looking at running some more 9mm and then on to .223.

If anyone has suggestions on cheap places to get .223 brass let me know. I've got about a half a bucket and I'm headed to a high round count class this weekend so hopefully I can keep most of what the class shoots.

Thanks for all the help!

Jason

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    BTW, what primers should I be using. Can I get away of whatever Magnum primer that my reloading manual calls for or do I need a Military Grade primer?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
    BTW, what primers should I be using. Can I get away of whatever Magnum primer that my reloading manual calls for or do I need a Military Grade primer?

Thanks
    I use whatever magnum or non wimpy (meaning thin) standard small rifle primers I can find.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    I have used the Montana Gold 55 grain FMJBT and they seem to shoot very nice. Have weighed several random bullets and they all come in at 55 grains on the nose.
    For brass look on Gun Broker, can find some nice deals.
    Last time I bought some brass I got it for .03 cents shipped.
    Good luck

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Chadbag,

I got all my stuff for .223 and started to set it up on my Hornady Lock N Load progressive and in the process I realized that the RCBS Lock Out Powder Check die I have will not work with rifle cases. From with I've found there isn't a powder check die that will lock up the press or give an audible warning of under/over loaded cases for rifle cases. Am I missing something here or what is the most reliable way to check for powder load on rifle cases.

It looks like I could use the Hornady Powder Check die but that relies on me watching the plunger go up and down each time. While I can do that, it's not very fool proof. My 60yo father loves to make squib loads on his pistol loads and I would think he'll be worse on the rifle stuff, that's why I got the Lock Out die in the first place so I'm a little worried.

Does anyone know if they Dillon Powder Check can be made to work for the Hornady press?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have no personal experience with this. A number of customers however have told me this works with their hornady presses: you can use the Dillon powder check system, but you need to drill a hole in the press frame next to where you stick the powder check so that the activation rod thingy can pass through.

If you look at this page from Dillon's website:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...n_Powder_Check

You look at the the pic and you see a black rod on the left of the die body. This hits the platform and pushes up. It pushes the main body in to the check thing that is at the top of the die that has the groove in it. If the pointy thing goes into the groove, you are good to go. If it does not go into the groove, it triggers the alarm.

I know it was not a very scientific or technical explanation of how it works but that is how it works...
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I don't mind drilling a hole in the top of the press, I just wasn't sure that would work. Thanks for the tip and I'll head that way.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast