Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not just another 14.5" mid-length build. (w/ Pix)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Not too shabby.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet-Matt View Post
    I have a YHM gas block that I retired to my varmint killer. I seem to have made the loosening less of a problem. It helps matters that the rifle its on now doesn't get that much use. I swapped the bolts out for some stainless ones and added some stainless lock washers. All has been well for about a year since.
    you could safety wire those hex nuts...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can you install that rail to a FSB barreled gun with out removing the FSB? How does the rail compare to others in its shape, width & height?
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Can you install that rail to a FSB barreled gun with out removing the FSB? How does the rail compare to others in its shape, width & height?
    Samson rails are simple rails to take on and off. As long as you get a model either short enough or with a hole in the right place, they can come on and off without moving the sight. The rail is basically three pieces, an upper half, a lower clamp and a lower half. They fit over a normal barrel nut with the upper half on top and the lower clamp circling around the bottom of the nut, held on by four grade eight bolts. The lower clamp has anti-rotation tabs to prevent the barrel nut from coming loose. The lower half slides into a ridged track on the upper half and is pulled back and then secured by a detented pin. The model I have would require you to cut the sling & bayonet mounts off an A2 sight to fit but, they also make a model with an opening on the bottom so you could use an intact A2 sight.

Size is about the same as any normal rail but at 18oz, it is a couple ounces heavier than some comparable length rails. However, the quality of construction is really excellent and the whole forearm can be removed in about two minutes without affecting the barrel nut or front sight.

So you can see what I am talking about, here is the same model as mine except in carbine length:

Here is the lower clamp and securing pin:

The full AR15 line can be found here (At full price):

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html...l_Systems.html

Also, Rainier Arms has just started carrying some of Samson rails at a discount (They don't have the model I used):

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...arms_samsonmfg

I bought mine with a 10% discount coupon from Optics Planet that they send you most holidays, if you are on their mailing list.

Optics Planet just had Samson drop ship me the rail but, Samson accidentally sent the wrong one. When I called Samson, they sent me the correct rail by two day shipping, along with a pre-paid UPS label to return the other one. I don't think customer service gets any better than that.

Feedback Score
    Duplicate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12