Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not just another 14.5" mid-length build. (w/ Pix)

Feedback Score

Not just another 14.5" mid-length build. (w/ Pix)

Usually when I do an AR build, I'm either duplicating a design, like a Mark 12 Mod 0, or doing the opposite and building up something custom and unique. This time, I used a different approach. I took my experience with things that have worked well for me in previous builds and combined it with ideas I got from studying AR carbines from top manufacturers and builders… and then ended up with something custom and unique.

After collecting most of the parts, it's time for assembly:

Here's the list of major components as of now:
    (Things could change as I continue to put it through final testing)

- Daniel Defense 14.5" 1:7 twist CHF 4150 chrome vanadium steel, chrome lined w/ mid length gas system.
    - Yankee Hill Machine 28-5C1 flash hider, blind pinned to barrel
    - Yankee Hill Machine gas block w/ flip up front diopter sight
    - MagPul MBUS rear sight
    - EoTech XPS2-2 - 65MOA ring and 2 1MOA aiming dots
    - Samson STAR-MEX-EBR free floating light weight aluminum forearm
    - ERGO RIBLOCK locking rail covers
    - Yankee Hill Machine A3 upper receiver w/M4 ramp extensions
    - Spikes Tactical "Made in USA" dust cover (Very Important)
    - JP Tactical Operating System QPQ hard coat 416 stainless advanced carrier
    - JP EnhancedBolt™ SAE 9310 steel bolt
    - DSA ZM4 7075 T6 MILA-8625 anodized lower (manufactured by LMT)
    - Armalite lower small parts kit (LPK)
    - MagPul MOE trigger guard
    - Geissele SSA tactical two stage trigger (Not in pictures)
    - CMMG ambidextrous fire control selector
    - Norgon left side mag release
    - Badger Ordinance charging handle lever
    - First Samco G-27 pistol grip
    - MagPul CTR collapsable stock
    - Noveske QD sling carbine adapter plate
    - MI QD sling to rail adapter
    - Blackhawk two point sling

This has turned out to be a flexible, light weight and well balanced rifle. The curved hood version of the YHM sight is a favorite of mine from previous builds as it helps with precise aiming. The sights can be folded down or left up to co-witness with the EoTech. The EoTech XPS2-2, with a circle and two dots, gives a much better frame of reference for holdover. The Samson STAR-MEX-EBR free floating hand guard has a removable bottom for ease of cleaning and is the only forearm I can find that is an extended rail with an opening for a mid-length front sight. With the folding sight down, it protects and shrouds it, making it less likely to get snagged or damaged. The JP carrier and bolt add reliability. The ambidextrous fire control selector, Badger Ordinance charging handle lever and Norgon left side mag release give the carbine ambidextrous capabilities for flexibility. The Noveske QD sling carbine adapter plate and MI QD sling to rail adapter combined with the QD connector on the CTR provide a multitude of options when connecting slings.

I'm probably going to get a better sling, add a vertical grip, weapon light and a magnifier for the EoTech. If anybody has any other ideas, chime in.

One of the best advantages of getting set up to build your own AR's is the ability to take designs you like and make subtle improvements to your own specifications. Everybody does things differently but, that is the benefit of doing it yourself and making your own choices. There is no right or wrong except staying away from cheap junk. You get to choose what you want and what works best for you. It also means in a world flooded with similar ARs, yours will be one of a kind and it is almost certain that no one else on the firing line will have one exactly like it.

I also have to give a kudos to Samson who accidentally sent me the wrong model forearm and after a phone call they took care of the problem in a prompt and efficient manner.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Very nice looking build

Not sure what your experience with the YHM gas-block/flip-up sight combo is, but my experience with 25 department patrol rifles, each running that same front sight/gas-block (RRA labeled), has been horrible. They tend to loosen up on their own. The design is stressed on too many areas to maintain a tight lock around the barrel regardless of how much red Loc-Tite you may try to use on the screws. Each of the tiny 4 clamp screws are stressed. Several points on each side of the barrel clamps are stressed as-well. Add heat (from shooting), and vibration (from shooting), and you eventually got yourself a loose gas-block/front sight combo!

Or you can just keep it stored in the armory for a year, unfired, and it will loosen its self up by magic.

I would instead pick up a Vltor VST-2C to replace it with. They ain't cheap, but they don't loosen up even when not partially covered/protected by a rail system.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice looking blaster.

I have had similar bad experiences with the yhm gas block setup. Curious to see how yours works for ya.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Beauty...and I whole heartedly agree on the importance of that dust cover...although I would have preferred a charging flag : )

Feedback Score
    Very nice rifle!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright.

I'm getting tired of seeing all of these 14.5" midlength builds, and not having one for myself.

The next upper I get will be one of these new-fangled contraptions.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have a YHM gas block that I retired to my varmint killer. I seem to have made the loosening less of a problem. It helps matters that the rifle its on now doesn't get that much use. I swapped the bolts out for some stainless ones and added some stainless lock washers. All has been well for about a year since.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Really like that set up. Great idea having the folding front sight/gas block and the extended handgrip.
    I like that better than the low pro bas block and bolt on folding sights you need for extended handgrips like I used on mine.
    Really cool, well thought out rifle!

Feedback Score
    Not sure what your experience with the YHM gas-block/flip-up sight combo is, but my experience with 25 department patrol rifles, each running that same front sight/gas-block (RRA labeled), has been horrible.
    I have had similar bad experiences with the yhm gas block setup. Curious to see how yours works for ya.
    In reading through this site, I had come across peoples problems with YHM sights and can see where you are coming from. For example, in order to clear the bottom of the forearm, I had to countersink the bolts. From drilling into them, I can tell you they are made from relatively soft metal. Also, there is a fairly large gap between the upper and lower clamps. I used a micrometer to measure the distances, as I believe it is critical to end up with all these gaps being even once mounted. When the metal gets hot and expands, if everything is not lined up properly, there could be issues. If it is aligned properly it should clamp down evenly as it heats up. I also used Loctite's new red 2422 medium strength/high temp thread locker and, so far, they have held. On the other hand, I have less than a thousand rounds through the three rifles that I have with these sights so, I can't draw any conclusions about durability yet.

What I really like is the round hood. Lining up the round aperture of the rear sight with the round hood of the front sight does wonders for open sight accuracy for me. Other people don't seem to care but, for me it is solid gold. That is what I was really referring to when I said I liked the YHM sights. Obviously, my feelings will change if the sights start falling off.

On this rifle, with the flash hidder pinned on, I'm somewhat limited in my options to change out the sight. However, if they do come loose, I'm not even close to exhausting all the options to get them to stay put. With the bolt heads countersunk I could stake them like the gas key and in an absolutely worst case situation, I could always tack weld the bolts.

As the YHM sights cost half of what sights like PRI or Vltor sights do, if I can keep them working, then they are a good deal. If I can't, then lesson learned and time to move on. I'm not married to the YHM sights and plan to use some different ones in upcoming builds. I was impressed by the quality of the PRI sight on my Mk 12 Mod 0 build.

Other than replicas like the Mk 12, every rifle I build is an experiment and that is why I said things could change as I continue to put it through testing.

As for this rifle, one of it's purposes was to experiment to see if a 14.5" barrel really has advantages over a 16", as by the time you use the extended flash hider, you only get about an inch reduction from a 16" with an A2. In my opinion, the answer is yes, the rifle seems to maneuver better than the actual measurement would lead you think. Also, as almost everyone agrees, the mid-length gas system is smoother. I believe up to a point, the longer the gas system, the better. Actually, a previous build took that whole concept one step beyond, to a further logical conclusion. I'll post pictures in a few days.

Thanks for the compliments. I enjoy looking at the rifles and ideas in this section and am glad I can contribute. I used to spent time on ARFCOM and The High Road but, boy have those sites changed to the point I had given up on most gun sites. it's nice to be back on a civilized site where we can exchange thoughts, comments and criticisms without the drama.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like you are already aware of the YHM issue, but I'll add that my department experiences mirror Nicks. At a minimum, they are a good candidate for staking.

I've also seen them fall apart on a duty weapon for no particular reason.

The rest of the weapon looks GTG, and well laid out.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast