Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franken'gun mistakes by new guys? What to avoid?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq47 View Post
    I haven't bought a complete AR yet, they've all been builds. I know I've shot a few times the FET I've avoided though in bulk ammo.
    Yeah, but anymore that isn't much ammo.....

I like hunting down quality parts here and there. I have a franken gun or two from parts I ended up with for whatever reason. Normally I just use those as plinkers/blasters.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think that "building" is a good lesson if nothing else. You learn how the gun goes together in a way that the guy that bought a complete rifle may not.

I am constantly amazed at the stoppages we see at our matches and the reaction from guys with NO idea how to (as Pat would say) un-**** their carbine. This ranges from simple type 1,2,3 stoppages to full on mechanical malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    I charge $25 to assemble an upper that does not need any machining.
    I can also do things like pinning gas blocks and timing muzzle devices without the need for shims/washers or permanent attaching muzzle brakes.

It's almost not worth buying the tools to do it yourself, unless you were specifically wanting to buy the tools for future builds.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    JohnJak

Besides trouble shooting forums have help everyone, including you.
    Actually...no they have never helped me.....

My two factory AR's have been running for years..........

You see.. I spend my time learning to shoot them and less on how to tinker with them...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    You see.. I spend my time learning to shoot them and less on how to tinker with them...
    Are they mutually exclusive?

Feedback Score
    I have built 6 of the 8 ARs that I have owned. My Colt and Bushmaster H-bars are 100% factory. All of my others are complete uppers with built up lowers. Most of the uppers have been altered by me. I have replaced the handguards with free-floats, changed the flash reducers, the bolts, latches, sights, ect.

If I had to do it all over again, I would just buy POF or LW rifles and customize the buttstocks. I had a chance to look at the POF and fire them. Sweetness is all I can say about them. If I could get the money out of my builds, I would sell the uppers and replace them with POF. The lower trigger group is awesome. LW is the only other piston AR I know of that is civilian available, other than FN and bushmaster.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Unfortunately, not too many of the piston guns appear to be able to get through a 3-day carbine class without crapping out.

I still say piston ARs are still too bleeding edge to be considered as viable.

Were I to do it all again I'd either buy a Colt 6920 and 6933, or (if they are ever produced) a Noveske N4 in 16" and 10.5", and be done with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Unfortunately, not too many of the piston guns appear to be able to get through a 3-day carbine class without crapping out.

I still say piston ARs are still too bleeding edge to be considered as viable.
    Question for Pat Rogers if someone can drag him over here to this thread...

What parts are crapping out on the piston guns you see in your classes?
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Quality parts and knowledge is key - otherwise you're better off sticking with factory guns IMHO. This is no different than coking a meal. If you have the knowledge and quality ingredients you'll do fine. If you skimp on either one, you'll likely be less than satisfied. My ARs are Frankenguns, built from quality parts and are run hard. They work very well as do some by others here that I know. But, for the average shooter, I'd recommend sticking to factory guns. Many may disagree with me and that's OK. Consider your ability, use and parts.

Feedback Score
    If you have a little mechanical ability at all, you can build an AR. The first AR I built was the first AR I shot. I took my time with the first one and learned all I could off forums like these. I did make a few little mistakes though. 1. My CMT carrier gas key was not staked properly so the key loosened after a couple hundred rounds. The gun never stopped working though, I was just cleaning the gun after shooting one day and decided to check the gas key. It was loose so I tightened it and staked it myself. Another thing I did wrong on the build was not tighten the barrel nut tight enough. It loosened after the first time out on the range. I noticed it during post firing cleaning inspection, I took the upper off and re-tightened a little bit tighter. I now have a feel for how tight they should be.
    My advice, buy a quality barrel, i'd go with a chrome lined one. Quality upper reciever, bolt and carrier - I use LMT bolts and carrier now(they seem to put a little extra care into there stuff over CMT stuff). And get good mags, not the no name junk brands.
    Alot of people say the AR is a complex rifle, I don't believe it. I think it is one of the most simple rifles built. I've built AK's and they are much more time consuming to put together then an AR. The AR is like putting together a Lego gun, I think I could put an AR together in an hour or less if I had to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12