Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franken'gun mistakes by new guys? What to avoid?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Franken'gun mistakes by new guys? What to avoid?

Does a single thread exist that offers a good discussion of the common Franken'gun mistakes people make? What keeps a new guy from buying high quality components from making his or her own upper?

What I'm really thinking about, are the guys that can't buy a $1200 upper at one time but, could buy a Noveske barrel on one pay check, a billet upper with the next, and ...

Is there some magic sauce that the good builders use that new guys don't know about ? Can the experience of others be learned by the new guy for their first build?

FWIW, personally I have done the numbers for myself and prefer to go direct with Noveske being my personal favorite source right now. I don't want to spend >$1K to travel to a class and worry I missed something in my rifle. My focus needs to stay on the lessons of the instructor and not on my personal build quality.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You have pretty much nailed it. The biggest mistake I see is buying everything on price. But that is the #1 reason people build their own, to save money. So it is a Catch-22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never got the thrill of Building a AR.. I like to shoot them.. So I just Buy a good one and then I don't have to Worry....

That will always be my advice to a new guy..... Make your first one a factory build and focus on your skill of learning it and using it....There would be less troubleshooting forums on the internet that way....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As already pointed out, many people buy the cheapest parts possible to build the cheapest weapon possible. In their cases, it is often a project that is doomed even before they start.

Building a weapon based on quality components that are selected based on the needs of the shooter makes sense if the assembler has at least a basic skill level. Someone who can't change their own oil, or who could never figure out any models that weren't "snap together" probably needs to pass and contact a dealer who will create a custom build for them.

As with any weapon, you want at least 500-1,000 rounds through it before you take it to a class. My guys average 1,500-2,000 rounds through an AR15 before they carry it on the street for duty use. That many rounds run hard through the weapon will break anything that was a borderline part, or at least thats been our experiences.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone!

Maybe I will turn a wrench on my next upper. I've been needing an excuse to get a 12.5 Noveske upper. Maybe I will settle on just the barrel and build it myself with the "good" parts I have.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Maybe I will turn a wrench on my next upper. I've been needing an excuse to get a 12.5 Noveske upper. Maybe I will settle on just the barrel and build it myself with the "good" parts I have.
    Please just make sure you have the correct tools available - e.g. receiver block, barrel vise block, good punches, barrel nut wrench, etc. It's fairly easy to torque an upper receiver out of true, since it's only made from aluminum. Please also make sure you know the tolerances for various fasteners - e.g. correct torque for barrel nut, for receiver extension castle nut, etc. Finally, please be aware that some parts should be staked - e.g. receiver extension castle nut, gas key.

If you're meticulous about aligning everything, torque to correct values, use the correct assembly products (e.g. moly grease), and apply correct technique with good tools, an AR assembled from quality parts should run very well. It's not rocket science, but it helps to have OCD...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't think I've ever saved money by building my own. I don't do it because I'm on a budget or have limited funds. I build mine so that I can have the exact configuration that I want, the first time. In the end it always cost me more up front but then I don't have to dick with it any more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Snap-On torque wrench so, the barrel nut will be torqued to a reasonable value (plus or minus a ft-lb or so). I have brass punches so, that should limit any heavy handiness on my part. The one thing I'm missing right now is the upper receiver block. Anybody got a gently used one for sale for a good price on a new one?

If I factor in tool expense and any value for my labor, it will be cheaper to buy direct from Noveske or a similar shop that turns out high quality gear.

I've gone down a similar path a time or two. The last example was for my .308 bolt gun. I started out with a Remington 700PSS. It's a good rifle but, a little rough around the edges. Do I send it off to GAP and let his guys (or a similar quality shop) work it over or commission a new one built exactly to my specs? I bought an FN A3G because I like the classic pre-64 Winchester action better, like McMillan stocks, and the barrels they use are real hummers. I saved about $1K going with a factory FN SPR rifle and I VERY HAPPY!

AR-15 uppers don't seem to be nearly as much effort as a .308 precision bolt gun but, they still have to be done right.

What to do ... What to do ....

Feedback Score
    That will always be my advice to a new guy..... Make your first one a factory build and focus on your skill of learning it and using it....There would be less troubleshooting forums on the internet that way....[/QUOTE]

Then what would you talk about. We all have to start somewhere. Some of us prefer to build our own and learn from our mistakes. That's just the way some people are. Besides trouble shooting forums have help everyone, including you.

Feedback Score
    I haven't bought a complete AR yet, they've all been builds. I know I've shot a few times the FET I've avoided though in bulk ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast