Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What optics available for Retro carry handle A1 type AR's?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a better ACOG fit (assuming a carry handle and fixed stock), I'd suggest a TA-45. Longer eye relief than with a TA-44.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Either one is going to be better than the old school Colt scopes.

Old School Colt Scope.......HSLD 30/40 years ago.

I have to ask... what is so bad about it?

Feedback Score
    i did a cheapo carry handle mount and c-more on my plinker:

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Nice looking plinker.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    I have to ask... what is so bad about it?
    I put a Trijicon Compact ACOG TA-44R on my dad's Colt 6520, and it works pretty decently.

Not ideal, no, but if you're locked into a carry handle and you don't want to go with a gooseneck mount that puts an Aimpoint over the handguard, it's probably the best, although most expensive, option.

The other thing to do is get an ARMS #2 mount and throw an Aimpoint on there. ARMS M16A1/A2 mount

Either one is going to be better than the old school Colt scopes.

Old School Colt Scope.......HSLD 30/40 years ago.

The reticle is just a fine cross hair vs. the much more aggressive illuminated reticles of a Trijicon ACOG or a red dot. Low light use absolutely sucks.

Also, the scopes are not nearly as bomb proof as either of the two modern optics, especially compared to an ACOG. But like I said....30 or 40 years ago, it was high speed low drag.
    Last edited by TOrrock; 11-11-10 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The reticle is just a fine cross hair vs. the much more aggressive illuminated reticles of a Trijicon ACOG or a red dot. Low light use absolutely sucks.

Also, the scopes are not nearly as bomb proof as either of the two modern optics, especially compared to an ACOG. But like I said....30 or 40 years ago, it was high speed low drag.
    Yes, I had a 3x Colt scope a long time ago and the crosshairs broke. You could see it was just like string hanging down from the left side where it broke off.
    Low Speed, High Drag Phone Operator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123