Thread: Play in the Hand gaurd.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Play in the Hand gaurd.

How do I get rid of the play in my hand gaurd? Holding my forward grip it moves side to side about an 1/8th of an inch. Annoying as hell.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Buy a rail system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Buy a rail system.
    I think something is outta' spec. It did it with the factory plastic M4 hand gaurd, as well as my current 2 piece metal quad rail.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Take your handguards off and try moving the barrel nut with your fingers.

Feedback Score
    Plastic flexes, especially when subjected to leverage from a VFG. While many VFGs are being mounted on plastic forends, this is less than ideal and there is no solution to remove the flex while mounted to the plastic. A proper VFG mount is on a FF rail.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    Plastic flexes, especially when subjected to leverage from a VFG. While many VFGs are being mounted on plastic forends, this is less than ideal and there is no solution to remove the flex while mounted to the plastic. A proper VFG mount is on a FF rail.
    yup, I am using a 2 piece metal quad rail. still wobbles. i think the bbl nut is outta' spec?

Update: I cut a small piece of pipe cleaner(a wire), and molded it around one of the 2 bars on the lower rail that sits in the recess of the bbl nut. This increased the tension between the bbl nut recess and one of the small bars on the rail that sits in the bbl recess ......and viola!

Not sure if the way I'm explaining it you can visualize what I did, but it worked!

Feedback Score
    Unless you FF there will almost always be some amount of slop with two piece rails. Even my KAC RAS that bolts to the barrel nut has a bit of slop with the lower rail. Either zip tie the two halves together or do something similar to what you did with the pipe cleaners to take gap the space between the halves.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks, I was thinking of FF the bbl on my next build.

Feedback Score
    You could shim it to remove the play... but that might make removal difficult...