Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern Illinois here

Feedback Score

Northern Illinois here

Huntley resident.

Hi, does anyone have any information for the Sycamore Sportsman's Club range? I can't find a website for it.

Specifically, can you shoot an AR there and if so, is there any restrictions on rounds in the magazine?

The Bristol range (CCKC in Wisconsin) is a nice range but only allows for chambering 1 round and no rounds in the magazine.

The MAXXON range in Des Plaines is O.K. They let you shoot rifles and shotguns INDOORS, no ammo restrictions but it's a small tight fit and shooting an AR at 50ft max is just a waste. It's a good place to get the rifle dirty and get something on paper.

Any info. is much appreciated. I'll give them a call sometime this week but perhaps someone in the area may have some experience there. I need to do some research on the Aurora club too. Waterman is not far. (I fished Shabonna occasionally and drove thru Waterman).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I recommend this place:

http://www.opsc.ws/

The best club in the Chicago area, imho

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus.peracto View Post
    Huntley resident.

Hi, does anyone have any information for the Sycamore Sportsman's Club range? I can't find a website for it.

Specifically, can you shoot an AR there and if so, is there any restrictions on rounds in the magazine?

The Bristol range (CCKC in Wisconsin) is a nice range but only allows for chambering 1 round and no rounds in the magazine.

The MAXXON range in Des Plaines is O.K. They let you shoot rifles and shotguns INDOORS, no ammo restrictions but it's a small tight fit and shooting an AR at 50ft max is just a waste. It's a good place to get the rifle dirty and get something on paper.

Any info. is much appreciated. I'll give them a call sometime this week but perhaps someone in the area may have some experience there. I need to do some research on the Aurora club too. Waterman is not far. (I fished Shabonna occasionally and drove thru Waterman).
    If you have any questions about ASC in Waterman, hit me up. I run the practical rifle program out there and we love our AR shooters.

Feedback Score
    I shoot at sycamore all the time. The rifle range is open Sat-Sun from 12-4 as well as on every other Tuesday. It costs 10 bucks to shoot and yes you will see a lot of AR's there. There is also no limit to how many rounds you can have in a mag. For me I find the easiest route to get there is to take 64 straight West until you hit Motel rd. The club is located on the left hand side and it is easy to pass. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Feedback Score
    Thank you kindly for all of the quick responses gentlemen!

Vae >>> Geneva is a nice town. I lived there in the early-mid 90's, then moved to Arizona for 6 years and then returned to Illinois. Arizona is a gun owners paradise . Illinois notsomuch

Feedback Score
    Yeah it is a nice town but there aren't a whole lot of places to shoot around here. Sycamore is decent but it's nothing fancy, its got 50 and 100 yard ranges as well as some handgun ranges. Oh and as far as calling them, they usually dont answer the phone because they're all outside.

Feedback Score
    Regarding Sycamore:

How do you know which Tues it is open if they do not answer the phone and are the hours 12-4?
    Do you need to be a member?
    Do they allow shooting while moving?
    Are there any limits on how fast one is allowed to shoot (ex: 1 round per second is the rule in some indoor ranges)?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I never go on tuesdays so I'm not sure, I can ask next time I'm there though. No you don't have to be a member to shoot there in which case it will cost $10 to shoot for the day. There is no shooting and moving and they do have a 1 second between rounds rule. This range is pretty much run and maintained by a bunch of older retired guys who volunteer to be there, so don't expect anything fancy. You may want to look into Aurora Sportsman's Club they offer various gun programs and more range options, Pecker should be able to answer any questions about ASC for you.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the information.

Feedback Score
    I went out to the Sycamore Range and had a good time. The weather was pretty crappy but the range was fun. I broke in my new S&W M&P15 M4 take-off. Smooth as silk, no problems shooting some sale ammo that I picked up at Cabelas this morning. I shot the Remington UMC, American Eagle .223, PMC Bronze & Win NATO 5.56.

The 5.56 had a strong distinct smell while firing that I haven't smelled since my service days. Sweet.

I'm very very happy with the new Smith. I had a spare BCM BCG in the rifle case that I wanted to test but never dropped it in.

( While checking out at Cabelas, a dude in line saw the 5 boxes of PMC Bronze ammo that I was buying and said that the ammo was shit (paraphrasing). I took the entire exchange with a very small grain of salt and really enjoyed shooting it without any problems whatsoever. I may go back tomorrow and pick up another 200 rnds. )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast