Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bushmaster XM15 E2S H-Bar done...for now...

Feedback Score
    I staked mine with a generic punch and it came out great. I don't believe a fancy tool is required for this job. If staking the gas key, I recommend using a relatively dull punch. A little bit nicer results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556mp View Post
    Wouldn't a 2 to 5 dollar center punch work just as well as that $30 automatic center punch, while saving $25?? Serious question as I live in a ban state and have never owned a tel-stock rifle, nor do I build rifles for a living. However, I do fix cars for a living and have quite an intimate relationship with tools. Just wondering if the plate might be made of a hard tool steel or something?

Like So: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alltrade-1...30012/14299967

And nice build OP
    thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just like any other advise on a forum or from a person you can take the experiences that I have and am passing on, or not. To be honest I really don't care either way, you can usee whatever center punch you like, or start hammering on your rifle with a mallet and a punch. Makes no difference to me.

I mentioned the Starrett because it is the best example of an automatic center punch and the one I will always recommend. I had one in my Armorers tool kit in the Army and found it is an excellent tool. Most other cheap made in China/$5 Harbor Freight special automatic center punches I have used for staking castle nuts and around my work fail very quickly, and do not apply a consistent punch from one use to the next. They are un-adjustable, and you cannot change out the tips. For that matter many of the cheaper center punches don't have the umph necessary to properly stake the receiver plate. These are all things you can do with the Starrett. You get what you pay for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    ...you can take the experiences that I have and am passing on, or not. To be honest I really don't care either way, you can usee whatever center punch you like, or start hammering on your rifle with a mallet and a punch. Makes no difference to me.
    No need for the rudeness, or to get on the defensive... decodeddiesel.

I see your "Senior Member" status and would assume that you would know what you were talking about in regards to this. The question was not weather or not you knew what you were talking about. The question was, do you have to use:
    1- a more pricey punch.
    2- an automatic center punch, or would a regular punch work?

I was not saying that you are wrong, that punch is worthless, you have no idea what you are talking about, and I am correct. I asked the above questions. Also, assuming that the OP might like to know these things as well...

I stated very clearly that I have no experience with any tel-stock setups as I live in a ban state. I also said that I was unsure of the hardness of the martial that is used in the plates, and was not sure how much force was needed to stake it.

That is all. No attack or degrading remarks were made nor intended.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556mp View Post
    No need for the rudeness, or to get on the defensive... decodeddiesel.

I see your "Senior Member" status and would assume that you would know what you were talking about in regards to this. The question was not weather or not you knew what you were talking about. The question was, do you have to use:
    1- a more pricey punch.
    2- an automatic center punch, or would a regular punch work?

I was not saying that you are wrong, that punch is worthless, you have no idea what you are talking about, and I am correct. I asked the above questions. Also, assuming that the OP might like to know these things as well...

I stated very clearly that I have no experience with any tel-stock setups as I live in a ban state. I also said that I was unsure of the hardness of the martial that is used in the plates, and was not sure how much force was needed to stake it.

That is all. No attack or degrading remarks were made nor intended.
    Thank you.
    I fail to see how anything what's so ever could be construed as rude, combative, or otherwise unpleasant in my post. I gave advise based on my experience, and it was clearly discarded and challenged by folks who believe they know better. All I am saying is so be it, no skin off my back. Use red Loctite for all I care.

If you want to do it the right way, you need the right tool. In my experience that tool has been the Starrett automatic center punch. Could one use a punch and a hammer? Sure thing, but you could EASILY make a mistake and damage your rifle. Could you use a cheap ass center punch? Maybe, you might get lucky and find one that will work.

Once again I will reiterate why I recommended the Starrett.

• It is the ONLY automatic center punch that I have ever used that did not crap out within the first 20 or so "punches".
    • It is the only center punch I have found that can reliably deform the receiver plate to properly stake the castle nut regardless of what material the plate is made out of. For example the Dieter CQD plate on my MK18 was VERY tough to stake.
    • It has replaceable tips so that a narrow point, or a broad tip can be selected based on the type of material you are staking, and similarly the spring tension can be altered based on the material you are staking.

Feedback Score
    I recomend the auto Starret also. You will find with the ASAP plates that the staking points will never be a place where you willl be able to place the lower in a vice block and get to it. So I always end up with the lower in my lap and running the punch. Holding the lower you will not be able to run a conventional punch and a hammer. With the Starret you will be able to get a light initial punch and then be able to work the stake points deeper. You will not believe the amount of controll that you will have vs. the conventional setup. You may have everything line up on your build and have no problem with the hammer and punch but I have not on the three ASAP plates that I have installed and on several of the regular plates that I have put on over the years. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Also recommend the Starrett. It will last a looong time.

Good looking rifle OP!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Yup,

This punch is awesome. I have done at least 4 stake jobs with this. Great tool. I bought mine from Brownells with an extra tip.
    Much better idea than just beating on your gun with hammer/punch.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some nice info in this thread as well...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=762954

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12