Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice tips

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cite references of the concept?
    Yeah, cite references. You are telling me something I have never heard or read in 40 years, not that I know it all, I certainly don't. But I don't know how I missed this "riding the recoil" concept in all that time. It makes me wonder if you are making it up. That's why I asked you to cite some reference.

When I talk about marksmanship fundamentals, sight alignment, trigger control, breathing and the like, I can cite references. Here is a quick example:

Sight alignment reference

That is the first hit when searching Google for "sight alignment".

Can you cite me a reference on this "riding the recoil" concept?
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 09-27-10 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I did.

I cited an entire website loaded with Professional Trainers, Professional Shooters, US F Class Team Members, Industry Professionals and Civi window lickers like myself.

And as a bonus, instead of looking to grow your epeen with me, you can go there and get a level of instruction that you have never been exposed to in 40 yrs of rifle shooting for cheap.

Good luck
    Last edited by Mo_Zam_Beek; 09-27-10 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did.

I cited an entire website.....
    I was kind of hoping for something specific, like the example link I came up with in 10 seconds. Something that shows for a fact that this concept of "riding the recoil" is an accepted, known concept and not something you made up to impress us. Something to make me retract my implied call of BS on this one.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 09-27-10 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good luck
    Last edited by Mo_Zam_Beek; 09-27-10 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    when you get it right behind the rifle it looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rkt...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj0...eature=related

even with no legs, and missing a bunch of fingers, this Marine knows how to get lined up behind the gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfUmNFFB0e0
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I searched sniperhide.com for "riding the recoil" and got 4 hits, none of them referring to a principle of marksmanship. I searched the whole internet for "riding the recoil" and "marksmanship" but not "handgun" and got 8 hits including some of the sniperhide hits. I guess it ain't really a principle of marksmanship after all. Maybe now, that settled, we can get back to answering Mr. Tonk's question.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Timmy - you're right. I made it up. You got me.

OP and others - sorry I wasted your time.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    I searched sniperhide.com for "riding the recoil" and got 4 hits, none of them referring to a principle of marksmanship. I searched the whole internet for "riding the recoil" and "marksmanship" but not "handgun" and got 8 hits including some of the sniperhide hits. I guess it ain't really a principle of marksmanship after all. Maybe now, that settled, we can get back to answering Mr. Tonk's question.
    Recoil Management, *Bipods Don't Hop*

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...=997161&page=3

Post #1647022
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I watched that video closely, the narrator says "The rifle does not move..." and later "The muzzle does not move..." and clearly, from observation of the video and knowledge of the principle of conservation of momentum, the rifle moves and the muzzle moves. This leaves me more puzzled than before. I don't intend to puzzle over it much longer though. I won't engage in an endless tit for tat. Outing bullshitters is not my raison d'etat, I would not have gotten into it here had Mr. Mo Zam Beek not contradicted my good advice to Mr Tonk.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 09-28-10 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think we may have missed one great drill...

I think Todd Jarrett said that he dry practices 7 times for each round that he fires. Sure, he's not really shooting long, but he's shooting well, and if it works for him, it works for me. But...

Tracking drills can be done at 100 yds and are great for practicing manipulating your turret knobs. They'll also tell you if you've got a good scope or not by their consistency. And, if you've got a buddy, you can practice your firing commands and cross talk. Finally, they're better than grouping because you've essentially got a new target for each round and if your scope is good, the only error should be in the shooter. They're probably your best bang for your buck drill for 100 yds.

Like many others have said, though, the only way to truly shoot long is to challenge the max effective range of your gun, and yourself!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast