Thread: On to my second build...need some input on DD or CA Barrels!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exclamation On to my second build...need some input on DD or CA Barrels!

I'm onto my second AR build and focusing on a 16-inch chromelined mid-length gas system w/FSB.

I've narrowed down my choice to either a Daniel Defense (DD) or Centurion Arms (CA). The pencil barrels are close in specifications and was hoping to get some input on one might be better than the other. I may consider the DD Gov. profile if the DD barrel is the apparent winner.

I know the DD is cheaper through G&RT than the comparable CA, but wanted to know your opinions on:
    1) Longevity
    2) Accuracy
    3) Weight

Is there any thing else I need to consider here about either barrel?

Please lend me your opinions as I'm sure either is a good choice, but can seem figure it out on my own.
    Last edited by BlueOvalFan; 09-14-10 at 17:32.
    "Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?" Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly

Feedback Score
    1. Longevity, CA should definitely last longer due to the machine gun barrel steel and thicker chrome lining. That said, I dont think anyones ever worn out a HF DD barrel either.
    2. Accuracy is where CA excels IMHO. CA has a tapered bore which they guarantee capable of 1MOA or better with the proper ammo.
    3. As for weight, I dont know how much the DD weighs but the CA LW weighs "1lbs, 11.8oz with pinned Centurion Arms gas block". A bit more probably with an FSB.
    Here's a link to a thread on CA barrels:
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42471

My personal opinion, you really cant go wrong with either but if you feel you need the extra features or atleast dont mind the extra cost, Id go CA for a 16 middy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    "...Here's a link to a thread on CA barrels:
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42471..."
    Thanks for the link and yes I've seen that thread.

So in looking a bit closer at the pictures I'm left to wonder how the FSB is secured to the barrel--is the barrel machined to allow pinning?

I'm assuming the pictures shown are of CA's earlier offerings and must now have the machined grove to allow the proper pinning of the FSB.

Can anyone confirm this with some pictures--I would certainly appreciate it.

Lastly, can anyone confirm who makes/supplies the BCG & bolt for CA assembled AR's. Are they as good as the 'other' top rifle makers?
    Last edited by BlueOvalFan; 09-15-10 at 19:08.
    "Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?" Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Blue- We can install a front sight post for ya it is in the drop down options in the ordering menu. We assemble and pin the front sight post like Colt and the other major manufacturers by putting the parts together in a fixture and drilling them for the pins together. It is the only real legit way to do it.

Also with out saying who we get our bolt groups from we can say they are the best in the industry and it is the same place the larger reputable manufacturers use.

Thanks
    Monty

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Monty is your 14.5 a middie?
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Blue- We can install a front sight post for ya it is in the drop down options in the ordering menu. We assemble and pin the front sight post like Colt and the other major manufacturers by putting the parts together in a fixture and drilling them for the pins together. It is the only real legit way to do it.

Also with out saying who we get our bolt groups from we can say they are the best in the industry and it is the same place the larger reputable manufacturers use.

Thanks
    Monty
    Thanks Monty,

Does the gas tube and roll pin come with the barrel and FSB or is that an extra charge?

As a side note, I think I'm leaning to the CA barrel!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    Monty is your 14.5 a middie?
    Not monty but ya, the CA 14.5 is a midlength.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "...Also with out saying who we get our bolt groups from we can say they are the best in the industry and it is the same place the larger reputable manufacturers use..."
    2nd question:

How does your BCG/bolt compare to the manufacturer comparision chart. Can you tell me are all the boxes checked/Blue for both listings...?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "...Also with out saying who we get our bolt groups from we can say they are the best in the industry and it is the same place the larger reputable manufacturers use..."
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueOvalFan View Post
    2nd question:

How does your BCG/bolt compare to the manufacturer comparision chart. Can you tell me are all the boxes checked/Blue for both listings...?
    Monty...?