Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operators Class Pictures & Review Thread

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    I wanted to ask how many people were running guns that were mechanically “as delivered” from the factory (allowing for changes in grips or sights), but never got the chance.
    The Warrior I was shooting is "as delivered" from Kimber - including all the MIM parts.

Well, not NOW -- it has Vickers Tactical custom work on it NOW.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Why don't you drip some lemon juice on my papercuts while you are at it

CMPM14NM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    My 1911 has seen many thousands of rounds by this point, and I was sure it was starting to get worn. Sure enough, 3 or 4 problem areas popped up on my gun, most of which were tweaked on site. The subsequent trip to the range proved the efficacy of said tweaks, though I was thisclose to getting steamed, as I started the morning with a gun that worked and after lunch my gun choked on 3 of the first 4 rounds fired! A quick tweak on the extractor (not by me) got me going again and no malfs were seen the remainder of the day (save for one hard primer that popped up in the middle of the Humbler!).
    subzero,
    You've got to remember that your gun choked on a test designed to show extractor weaknesses that would not show up under standard shooting. That demon was hiding in your extractor the whole time but shooting it without a mag in the gun let it been seen.

Guys, it was a great class and LAV and I really enjoyed it.

Feedback Score
    My Wilson CQB was as deliverd. It keeps chugging along. Round for round, it is the most reliable pistol I've ever owned.

I'll admit, although I dig 1911s, if I had some of the issues that some others had (even though they can be fixed) I would not be a 1911 guy any more. I though some one was issueing M-9s to some guys!

Feedback Score

1911 Operators Class

Very interesting class. I agree that it was somewhat of a humbling experience. I was able to determine quite easily "What I did not know vs. what I thought I knew" I will add some of the drills to my training. No malfunctions with my pistol, although we did not put a high round count down range. It was more Quality vs. Quantity in regard to round count. The class room exercise was good and many if not all received some hands on by Larry. Prior to this class I had never fired my pistol beyond 25 yds. so the backup drill on the steel was an eyeopener. I was comforted in the fact that I could actually hit the steel at 50 yards and out. I will be taking additional pistol classes and will be discriminating on selecting the instructors. I wish the class had been longer. Lots packed together in a couple of days.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a kimber warrior and it went back to the factory 6 times within the first year of owning it: loose plunger tube, bent thumb safety, worn kimpro finish after 150 rnds and no holster use. Sights were off - 3 inches high and 3 inches right at 25 yards and needed to be changed. The slide and reciever finish were miss matched untill I realized I knew someone at the factory, who took charge of my gun and got it squared away. After about 800 rounds I had problems with failure to feeds and the gun went back 2 times for that, my contact was able to fix as well. The word from inside the factory is low or no quality control.

Does larry have any more 1911 classes planned for 2007 or 2008? I'd love to make it too one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KCS View Post
    Does larry have any more 1911 classes planned for 2007 or 2008? I'd love to make it too one.
    This is now a standard Vickers Tactical class so we will hold at least one (probably more) every year at the South Hill range. You can also host one yourself if you have access to the range facilities.

Standard VT classes;
    Pistol I
    Pistol II
    Pistol III
    Carbine I
    Carbine II
    Carbine III
    2-day pistol/carbine
    3-day pistol/carbine
    Ken Hackathorn/Larry Vickers Low Light
    AK rifle specific class
    1911 handgun specific class
    Battle rifle specific class.

There are also 3, 4, and 5 day classes available in many of these formats.

http://www.vickerstactical.com/training/courses.htm
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KCS View Post
    I have a kimber warrior and it went back to the factory 6 times within the first year of owning it: loose plunger tube, bent thumb safety, worn kimpro finish after 150 rnds and no holster use. Sights were off - 3 inches high and 3 inches right at 25 yards and needed to be changed. The slide and reciever finish were miss matched untill I realized I knew someone at the factory, who took charge of my gun and got it squared away. After about 800 rounds I had problems with failure to feeds and the gun went back 2 times for that, my contact was able to fix as well. The word from inside the factory is low or no quality control.
    ...and based on what we were told during this class, "Expect to buy a 1911, and send it off to a 'smith for work, since no place producing 1911's is doing everything 'right'...."

I've gotten to the point where I just assume that any gun I buy will need to be sent somewhere to be customized for me in some fashion.

Luckily, I can do most of my own AR work. Now, I might start doing my own 1911 work too.....

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks dinger. I dont have access to facilities, but look forward to the next one you schedule

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMPM14NM View Post
    subzero,
    You've got to remember that your gun choked on a test designed to show extractor weaknesses that would not show up under standard shooting. That demon was hiding in your extractor the whole time but shooting it without a mag in the gun let it been seen.

Guys, it was a great class and LAV and I really enjoyed it.
    Excellent point, thanks for saying it.
    Principles matter.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast