Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operators Class Pictures & Review Thread

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I wonder how many in the class realized that they are NOT "enthusiast's" of the 1911?

C4

Feedback Score
    What was he saying about the 1911 and using it as a fighting gun.

Feedback Score
    I have NEVER really been an "entusiest". I got one 'cause I though double action was too hard to use well and I USE to think the Glock was dangerous because it "does not have a sefety". (both of those opinions have changed since I've actualy started to TRAIN instead of just "shooting".) the first time I use a 1911 with any seriousness was about 4 (?) years ago. I took a carbine/pistol course at MISS and it became obvious that the controls were alot like my duty weapon at the time (the carbine). That and the fact that it was easy to use kinda sold me. Since I shot it more then anything else, I guess I became a "1911 guy."
    Lately I've been devoting about half my time to the "girl gun" (glock 19).
    I HAVE found that I have been "padding" my 1911 opinion however. Now I have some good drills to try and figure out what I TRULY shoot better (faster/more accuratly).
    Like meny weapons I have owned in the past, If I identify one has advantages over the other, the "other" goes to the back of the line.(heck, I was a "revolver guy for a while. I don't own one now).
    When I first talked to Lav a couple years ago, I WAS surprised as to what his real opinion was. That is why I took this class.
    I will say, that if ANY of my 1911s behaved like some I saw at this course, I would not own one... I guess I've been lucky with my current 1911 choice.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks to:

Larry Vickers
    David P.
    VA_Dinger

&

The South Hill PD for use of their upstairs meeting room.

I really enjoyed the class and it honestly motivated me to get out and shoot at least once a week, whether I have time, OR NOT.

I hate taking a full day to get "warmed up"....

Feedback Score
    Am i reading things wrong, is he not recommending the 1911 for hard use. I just blew 4000.00 on one of his Vickers Tactical 1911's, here is a quote from his site....."This is the best serious use custom 1911 pistol made by anyone at any price". Just looking for some clarification, thanks alot .

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCULLY View Post
    Am i reading things wrong, is he not recommending the 1911 for hard use. I just blew 4000.00 on one of his Vickers Tactical 1911's, here is a quote from his site....."This is the best serious use custom 1911 pistol made by anyone at any price". Just looking for some clarification, thanks alot .
    The 1911 is "the finest CQB HG made." It is also "the king of feedway stoppages." You should also be an "enthusiast" if your going to run a 1911. If your not, then you should NOT own a 1911.

So the answer to your question is that LAV is NOT recommending the 1911 to anyone that is NOT an "enthusiast."

C4

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you spend $4000 on a handgun, I'd hope that you are an "enthusiast" - either that, or get "enthusiastic" real quick.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The 1911 is "the finest CQB HG made." It is also "the king of feedway stoppages." You should also be an "enthusiast" if your going to run a 1911. If your not, then you should NOT own a 1911.

So the answer to your question is that LAV is NOT recommending the 1911 to anyone that is NOT an "enthusiast."

C4
    And the translation to that is that you need to be aware of the idiosyncrasies of the 1911 platform and know what to look for and how to deal with the potential problems associated with it. It takes more to keep a 1911 up and running then it does a Glock (stating the obvious) so the guy carrying the 1911 has to be willing and able to put forth the effort to get the most out of the system.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Readers Digest Answer;

1911’s requires more effort from the end user to run properly over the long haul. They need to be kept reasonably clean, very well lubricated, periodic maintenance (Spring changing, ETC.), and most likely some gunsmithing right off the bat to run reliably through high round counts. Not to mention some can be finicky with certain magazine & ammo combinations.

This is substantially more work than Glock, S&W, Sig, ETC owners have to go through.

All Larry is saying is that before you go through all of this you had better “love” the 1911 design and be enthusiastic about it. Thus you will be better motivated to keep on top of your pistols many needs. If not - you are asking for trouble. It should be a "labor of love" so to speak.

A properly tuned and maintained 1911 has many advantages for the trained & skilled shooter, but those advantages come at a cost.

Disclaimer: This did not come from me. I’m just the parrot repeating what I’ve been taught by LAV, Dave P., and a few others.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    Ok great, i appreciate your responses and realize that. I figured i must have been taking things the wrong and was wanting some clarification. Thanks alot.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast