Thread: Gas Piston uppers and supressors

Feedback Score

Gas Piston uppers and supressors

Are gas piston uppers any better with supressors ?

I would think you would have the advantage of less crap blowing back.

Anymore advantages ? or disadvantages ?

Feedback Score
    In my expierence, depending on where the dispersment leads, its could be good or bad. I had had some blow extra shit in my face while others you could not even tell at all.
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    Sadly, gas piston uppers get dirty just about as fast with suppressors as normal uppers. I wish it were not true. There are some differences in sound. Some are louder and some are quieter.

Feedback Score
    My experience with my POF upper and a AAC M4-2000 (16 inch barrel, full-house supersonic loads) is that the POF piston upper does not put as much blow-back into my face as a std upper. At this point, I am not using the Gas Buster charging handle nor the Battlecloth shield and I am not bothered at all by any gas or carbon in the face with my POF piston upper. Just got back from shooting 300 rounds SA suppressed -- my glasses have no specks etc. YRMV. Robert Silvers is correct that the uppers still get dirty, but the soot seems to be "softer" and thus easier to clean. Once again, YRMV depending on the specifics of your set-up, e.g. barrel length, suppressor type, ammo etc.

Dave Brown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It all depends on the design of the gas system.
    In my experience with SHORT systems (like 4" and such 5.56mm platforms) nothing really works well -- in the 9"-12" systems a decent gas piston design will be MUCH more reliable than a impingment design with a suppressor on. Sure the piston etc. gets tremendously fouled and is a bithc to clean - but they will work. The direct/inpingment system is dumping hot gas/carbon back into the bolt carrier/bolt and into the upper itself -- all this crap accumulates in places you dont want.

Some gas pistons systems vent gas that is VERY visible during Night Operations -- earlier versions of one removed the advantages of using a supressor due to the flash.

That said - what sort of battlefield loadout do you beleive it should be reliable past?

I used used suppressed impingment 20", 16" and 10.5" guns operationally and I'm still here...