Thread: Anybody stood in line for 4 hours for generator fuel?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Anybody stood in line for 4 hours for generator fuel?

During Katrina my fuel supplies got to where I needed to get some fuel for the generator. This sucks, everyone is in pure panic like it is the end of the world and if they don't get their 5 gallons of fuel they will simply die. I can see where they are coming from as I am diabetic and need to keep my insulin cool. I got tired of this and found another supply. Natural gas. I have lived on the gulf coast for several years and have never had my gas go out, my father in-law who has lived here all his life only remembers it going out once. So I got to doing some research and found a site that sells natural gas conversion kits. I ordered one, got it all set up and that is one of the best $350 spent (189 for kit rest on pipes and fittings). Now I can run gasoline or natural gas. www.propanecarbs.com I highly recommend this option to anyone that has natural gas at their house.

Feedback Score
    This is true, gas does not "usually" get affected. But the longer a situation goes on, and the size of the area (looting, rioting, fires) gas may be shutdown to certain areas. I have been running gas in Power Plants for almost 20 years, the mains have never gone down in any of the plants I ever worked at.

One thing to remember is with propane and natural gas your generator capacity (KW) will be a little less. If you are only running a few things and staying under the KW rating you should be fine.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yeah, I'm only running a few lights, fridge/freezer, and a window unit. So the reduced kW won't be an issue. I have a few places I can go if I can get the first 200 miles out, but if it is looking that bad I plan to be gone before the gas shuts off.

Feedback Score
    I've been exchanging emails with this company about a kit for my generator. So far they've been incredibly helpful in making sure that their kit will fit my unit. Is the kit that you purchased a tri-fuel or just natural gas and gasoline? With the tri-fuel kits you can run off of 20lb propane bottles, but they recommend having a 100lb.
    Treat your gun like your genitals. Only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just got the airhorn that you install the longer studs and slip it on after the carb. The only issue I have is the choke linkage does not connect any longer. Not a huge deal since I live in the deep south. So it is either gasoline or natural gas depending on which fuel source I have turned on. No Tri-fuel. They were very helpful with selecting the right kit for me. Like I said, I do not regret getting it.