Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noveske 16.1 SS RECON use

Feedback Score

Noveske 16.1 SS RECON use

I purchased one of these in an 8P, for it's accuracy. I understand that the
    stainless ( I don't know the grade) is not meant to be a blaster. but can this be used in training and competition where you could do some quicker shots or more of them without ruining it? I don't want to fry it but I don't want to baby the thing because of it being double the price of an average barrel. this is a SA carbine only.
    this is not the only one I can shoot but I would like to think it could be used as any other but with much more accuracy.

this is the barrels profile

and it's marking

and the current config

I don't bump fire or mag dump some double tap ect. so let me know what you think.
    thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are talking about quick double taps, don't worry about it. The key is barrel heat. You can pound mag after mag through a semi-auto AR-15 and heat a barrel excessively.

For high volumes of fire over short periods of time (> 60 rounds an hour for hours at a time) get a good chrome lined beater and press on. Those can be accurate too! Shooting 1/2 MOA groups at a paper target at 600 yards is different from shooting a "popper" at 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't really be worried about ruining anything from noveske, shoot the shit out of it and let us know how you like it

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I run my Noveske barrels through all kinds of carbine classes. Don't worry about hurting them as they handle abuse VERY well.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks good. I am strongly leaning towards this barrel for my next build, as it seems to offer everything I want. I just can't decide which profile to get, since I'm not sure how they relate to "traditional" barrel profiles like the Gov't or the HBAR. Which of the three (standard, medium or light) is that one?

Also, is the Noveske pinned gas block as durable as I imagine it is? Is that the best choice on a Noveske barrel? Any other options to consider?

Thanks.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    Looks good. I am strongly leaning towards this barrel for my next build, as it seems to offer everything I want. I just can't decide which profile to get, since I'm not sure how they relate to "traditional" barrel profiles like the Gov't or the HBAR. Which of the three (standard, medium or light) is that one?

Also, is the Noveske pinned gas block as durable as I imagine it is? Is that the best choice on a Noveske barrel? Any other options to consider?

Thanks.

Derek
    A pinned GB is a VERY durable and should always be considered for hard use.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn't consider anything but a pinned gas block. Yea, you can get away with a screwed block for a while but sooner or later it's going to loosen and then the gun starts to choke and puke. The Army found that out with their SPRs.

If your life might depend on your gun working (rather then a match score) get the pinned gas block.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    A pinned GB is a VERY durable and should always be considered for hard use.

C4
    Thanks, Grant. That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to check.

Have you seen all three of the available profiles for the RECON? If so, how do they compare to something like a Colt HBAR?

Also, do you normally have the Medium-profile RECON in stock? That's all I see on your site.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    the one pic posted is the medium contour. I got lucky and there was this one
    IN STOCK at Noveske's. normally it's a 16 week lead time. but grant must keep a blanket order running with them because he seems to have them alot. they advertise a 7P but this one was an 8P, exactly what I wanted.

Grant, can you give any info on the poly bore? I looked at mine in this post and it looks like a ratchet cut. I thought it would be similar to my HK. I know it is not supposed to be the same as a pistol but I thought it would be similar. one side of the rifling is almost straight up and the other is at kind of a 45 degree. as small as it is I could see this. I am not complaining I like the results, just curious. I called it "ratchet" from comparing what it looks like and looking for the same on various other pics I had found. It definately does not look like the poly that I saw before.

I have a bushmaster barrel to abuse, I don't though. but I am glad to read what grant had said. use it. I take good care of cleaning the barrel after use so the bushmaster one I have from 1999 still looks excellent at the throat area even "feeling" it during cleaning it is smooth. so I will keep this one and the future builds well used and kept up.

but any opinion on the bore would be appreciated, thanks all.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    Thanks, Grant. That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to check.

Have you seen all three of the available profiles for the RECON? If so, how do they compare to something like a Colt HBAR?

Also, do you normally have the Medium-profile RECON in stock? That's all I see on your site.

Derek

I have seen all three profiles and ONLY stock the medium as I believe it is the best all purpose controur. A Colt HBAR is a heavier barrel than this medium contour.

I do have the Medium contour barrels in stock.

C4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast