Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My DMPS LR308 experience

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPD View Post
    If this is the worst problem you had with your DPMS, count yourself lucky, knock and wood, offer some savory smoke to the Gods, and try not to jinx it. Many, including me, have experienced much worse.
    Oooooh, that does not sound good. What happened?

I understand the "sub par" comment above, however, a Knights would have run me 3 times as much. There is no way that was in my budget. And, at the time of my purchase, there were not many choices. Armalite certainly had issues too.
    long range target when the shaking stops.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin S. View Post
    I will say that my rifle ended up being a pretty good shooter. Here's a couple 100yd groups I managed and I am not a great shot by any stretch.

Nothing wrong with that!

I just got back from testing some reloads that I'm working up for mine. I shot two, 2inch, 19 round groups at 100 yds. (I'm calling them 19 round groups, because I had a flyer on each group, which I called, that spread them out to 3".)

I did notice that with both groups, as the barrel heats up, the point of impact moves down & to the left. For both strings of fire, I fired as fast as I could return the crosshairs to the bullseye. Not rapid fire, but pretty fast.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score

LR308's

The bolts aren't interchangeable with others. I have two DPMS LR308C's and one did have the same problem with a sharp edge, but mine have proper M4 cuts. I just kissed it with crayotex tip and the problem went away. But as stated before....it should of never left the factory that way. I'm lucky I've put a little over 1500 rounds down the tube and all is well.
    I will be adding a BCM to my collection soon, or as my wife says my "obsession".

Feedback Score

lr-308

I got mine about 2 years ago, summer of 2008. also a 24" SS barrel, fluted, thankfully, but it is still heavy! but a nice range queen.

It came with m4-style feed-ramps from the factory, so I have shot > 500 rounds through it with only 1 Fail-to-Feed, trying a cproducts mag and brown-bear steel-cased ammo i usually run with the dpms mags and federal or hornady ammo, that was 100%, never any issues, i have the 5 rd dpms mag and 5 of the 20 round'ers.

I replaced the trigger with a chip-mccormick drop-in trigger:

added a NF 3.5-15 x 56 (hell, it's heavy, might as well keep goin), and the PRS stock for consistent cheek welds...

I love it. I wouldn't want to hike with it, and the walk to/from our coyote hunting spots, i was envious of my mate's 5# 22-250 bolt guns, but as noted above, it is accurate and a good value - especially if like mine, it ran like a champ out of the box, and simple add-ons make it even better (stock, trigger, etc).

Feedback Score

Nice set up hak.

I have two plain vanilla C models. I put on a FF rail and mounted an ACOG on one, the other just sits in the locker. I had an abundance of British Radway Green ammo, 147 gr brass case. It's good plinking and function testing ammo. I can't complain about the function or accuracy. I'm just a recreational shooter now and didn't want to spend 2 plus g's on a 7.62 AR platform for busting steel or paper targets. So, the DPMS fits the bill. As an operator I would go with something else of course.

Feedback Score
    Range Queen! That's exactly what mine is. Hand holding it is a pain since my injury. I can do it, but it works my bone/plate screws loose a bit. Especially after about 50-100 rounds.

Still, I will never sell this thing. It's my all around favorite gun.
    long range target when the shaking stops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12