Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My DMPS LR308 experience

Feedback Score

My DMPS LR308 experience

I purchased a base model LR308 with the 24 inch stainless barrel. Y'all know the one I'm talking about. (pics coming soon). It was unable to fire more than 3 rounds without a feeding issue of some sort. So, I hand fed it for break in.

After getting home, I studied the feeding. I discovered that the brass was hitting on the feed ramp edges. They were sharp and protruded into the feed path. This resulted in 2 dents in the taper of the brass. I also found that the aft rib in the steel 19 round mags would catch the rim on the brass and force it to feed unevenly.

So, I took my trusty die grinder to the feed ramps and carefully removed the sharp edges, without removing much material. (I'm an ex machinist and capable of high precision work) The next range session was much the same. 2 dents in the round, but they were smaller and smoother!

I then removed about 0.040 inches from the edges of the feed ramps, and this solved the problem. I polished it nicely and ensured the contour was symmetrical and even. It looks very professional.

The magazines were another story. I ended up removing material on the aft ribs of the mags, about 0.020 inches. Right where the brass rides. This prevents the aft rib from catching the round as it feeds.

Bottom line: It runs just fine now and it's my most favorite gun. However, the trigger is still poor and creepy, even after some careful re-work. It's more accurate than I'll ever be, with 1 inch groups possible at 200 yards using FGMM 168g.

Feedback Score
    Nice work getting it to run. However, it is unacceptable for it to have left the factory in that condition.

Feedback Score
    Your experience is not unlike my own. I bought a LR308 some years ago and it too would not feed without damaging the bullets and-or the casings. The difference is that I am not an ex-machinist and I sent my rifle back to DPMS to be fixed. It appears that they went ahead and made my barrel extension M4 style with a dremel. I does feed reliably now, but I have bare metal where the anodizing used to be. Also, the gas block is installed askew but that doesn't affect function so I left that alone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    Nice work getting it to run. However, it is unacceptable for it to have left the factory in that condition.
    I suppose you are correct. However, when I ordered the rifle, I understood that it was not a complete package and that many people had "issues" with them. I considered it a kit and I am glad I looked at it this way. Otherwise, I would have been very annoyed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin S. View Post
    Your experience is not unlike my own. I bought a LR308 some years ago and it too would not feed without damaging the bullets and-or the casings. The difference is that I am not an ex-machinist and I sent my rifle back to DPMS to be fixed. It appears that they went ahead and made my barrel extension M4 style with a dremel. I does feed reliably now, but I have bare metal where the anodizing used to be. Also, the gas block is installed askew but that doesn't affect function so I left that alone.
    Very interesting. I would never have considered that.

Feedback Score
    I'm sitting here knocking on wood. I bought a .308 DPMS Oracle a couple weeks ago. So far I've shot 120 rounds of factory ammo in150 & 168 gr; some very old 125gr varmint reloads I had laying around; & 50 rounds of 168gr reloads that I'm working up for it.

I haven't had a single FTF/FTE. The best groups I could get with the factory ammo was 2 MOA. My reloads are shooting 1 MOA & I'm still testing loads, so I may be able to improve on that.

A bit off topic, but I want to get some spare parts. Is the .308 DPMS bolt interchangeable with any others? I'd like a spare bolt, FP, extractor springs, retaining pins, etc.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    Mine turned out to be a great gun. It simply took a bit of work.

As for spares, I dunno if bolts from other brands will fit. Mine came with the hard chrome bolt. It seems to work just fine, with little visible wear over the years. The newer ones come with a conventional bolt. They do seem to wear just a bit faster.
    Last edited by cujet; 09-21-10 at 14:43. Reason: spelling
    long range target when the shaking stops.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cujet View Post
    I suppose you are correct. However, when I ordered the rifle, I understood that it was not a complete package and that many people had "issues" with them. I considered it a kit and I am glad I looked at it this way. Otherwise, I would have been very annoyed.
    Guns should run out of the box. That is just unacceptable. If people would quit buying these sub par guns, maybe these company's would get thier shit together and put out some decent product.

Feedback Score
    If this is the worst problem you had with your DPMS, count yourself lucky, knock and wood, offer some savory smoke to the Gods, and try not to jinx it. Many, including me, have experienced much worse.

Feedback Score
    I will say that my rifle ended up being a pretty good shooter. Here's a couple 100yd groups I managed and I am not a great shot by any stretch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast