Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: +P in .45, is it needed?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There is a logical and rational purpose for agencies to use +P .45 ACP ammo, as previously discussed back in 2003:

Note: Since the above was written in 2003, I have switched to using the Federal HST +P JHP (P45HST1) for duty/carry and standard pressure 230 gr FMJ for practice.

It is very important to be aware that .45 ACP +P loadings can cause increased wear on pistols. Keep the +P pressures at the lower end of the spectrum (875-925 fps for a 230 gr bullet fired from a 5” barrel) and increased pistol wear is not a significant issue. Unfortunately, with the erroneous idea that faster is better, many of the .45 ACP +P 230 gr loadings seem to be running hotter these days than they originally did--loads at the hotter end of the pressure range (925-975 fps for a 230 gr bullet fired from a 5” barrel) are not uncommon. High pressures like this will accelerate wear and cause damage to pistols, particularly 1911's.

I would STRONGLY suggest that agencies purchasing large quantities of ammo should specify in the contract the velocity range (along with terminal performance standards) they will accept--if the average velocity (as well as performance parameters) is outside that allowed by the contract, then they should reject the entire lot of ammo and make the vendor replace it with ammo that meets the required specification.

Personally I am quite satisfied running .45 ACP +P JHP's at velocities up to 925 fps out of a 5" barrel; I would NOT choose to use loads running hotter than this...
    Thanks for the info. I am running an M&P45 as well. Out of curiosity, what parts see the most wear from high-pressure rounds? How would one identify any excesive wear and/or issues with said parts.

I would like to be able to identify any potential wear/breakage issues that may occur. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    When I am reading this thread the +P load is centered on the 230gr Ranger load. Does anyone have any history with the New Hornady 185gr +P Critical Defense load? This is what I am carrying in my M&P midsize. It's accurate and recoil doesn't feel much different if at all from any of the 230gr loads I've shot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    When I am reading this thread the +P load is centered on the 230gr Ranger load. Does anyone have any history with the New Hornady 185gr +P Critical Defense load? This is what I am carrying in my M&P midsize. It's accurate and recoil doesn't feel much different if at all from any of the 230gr loads I've shot.
    Just an FYI, the Hornady 185gr Critical Defense load is standard pressure, not +P.

I too would like any info on this round. I'm considering it, as well as 230gr HST, 230gr HST +P, or 230gr Ranger-T for my Glock 36. I'd really prefer to go with a 230gr round though.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Recent Research in 4-Ply Denim and Heavy Cloth

My recent research of 4-Ply Denim and Heavy Cloth also shows that Federal's 230-gr. +P HST (P45HST1) outperforms the standard version (P45HST2).

Same principle applies to the 9mm 147-gr. +P (P9HST4) versus the standard pressure round (P9HST2). As for the 40 S&W, Federal's best load is in 180-gr. HST (P40HST1) standard pressure or their Tactical 180-gr. load (LE40T1).
    Last edited by 147 Grain; 11-13-10 at 00:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My agency issues both the 180 grn HST in .40 and the 230 grn +P HST for the .45.

Both have performed very well and talking to our firearms trainers, who review every shooting, they havent had one fail yet.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    The only problems I've heard about with +P .45, are with some of the over the counter "Tactical" 1911's that probably would have had issues anyway. I've got a Sig 220 aluminum that has had B]conservatively[/B] 500 rounds of +P's, in addition to a few thousand regular ball through it. My buddy's Glock has had lots more than that of the +P. No issues.

Full power .45, instead of the 700-750 fps ball that most guys shoot, does have a way of identifying good guns from bad though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12