Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Help with custom build"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

"Help with custom build"

I am new to the ar15 platform and was looking to build my own EBG. I was going to start with either a zombie defense lower or spikes tactical. I live in MD so per the jerks at the state house, my barrel can't shorter than 16" (in my whinny voice) I've seen several custom build on the forum and I must say, WOW!!! I was like a kid in a candy store. Could any of you guys be of any assistance to a AR virgin?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Just about any lower will do, so get one which appeals to you, whether it appeals to you because of the name on the side or because of it's shape. There are quite a few interesting billet lowers out there. For some samples, go to gunbroker.com and type in "billet lower".

Next get a QUALITY lower parts kit. GandRtactical.com will tailor a quality lower parts kit to your particular desires. Get a milspec buffer tube, spring and an H buffer. Select an endplate (Daniel Defense and Noveske endplates are nice).

ok, that's enough for now.

Feedback Score
    Here's the build I'm working on now
    Take your time, search and research, do your homework and build something to be proud of.
    I got a BCM 16" middy barrel in today, next up will be the handguard.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    what exactly do you need help with? lower? upper? suggestions for quality 16" barrels? etc?

is your muzzle device required to be pinned- i.e., no threaded barrels?

if you're required to be pinned, you might as well go 14.5 if you're looking for an M4esque gun. then you have an extended muzzle device pinned to it, bringing your total barrel length to 16" or over

the bravo blem lowers are probably the best value on earth for lower receivers.. or if you like the sopmod stock, LMT complete lowers with sopmods are the way to go. but you can get a BCM blem with a vltor modstock for like $300 right now, and that really kind of makes the sopmod a little less essential, for me anyway.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks guys!!! Mvician, that is a nice lower. You're right I need to take my time and do my research. bkb0000, I need help wit it all. I talekd toa guy at my local shop where I always buy my toys. He was saying "oh, just buy complete rifle and customize it yourself". No idiot!! I want to do everything on my own. I think that i can handle the lower receiver. The upper I migt have an issue with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're going to build an upper make sure you have a good torque wrench or know someone who does. And punches. Installing a YHM or Troy modular rail isn't hard at all. DD Omega HGs require the use of the delta assembly, which can be a little tricky on installing without the right tools. I much prefer YHM rails---cost effective, look good, and install very easily. Should you decide to build an upper, get this barrel nut wrench:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...REL_NUT_WRENCH

and this upper vise block:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...VER_VISE_BLOCK

Upside down or right side up---a very good receiver block.

Lastly should you decide you want to make your rail system go over your gas block, have a dremel on hand and the cutoff wheel setup and the green or orange grinding drums to create a teardrop profile for your gas block to fit under rails.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    I would second the Blem BCM lower. I got one two months ago and the trigger after @700 rounds is really nice. At first it seemed to have slight creep but that went away after first day of shooting. The blemish on mine I filled in with a sharpie and you would never even notice it now.

Select Blem under lower: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=LWR-BCM

I really need to buy another one of these lowers from Grant or stop posting about them.

Thread on the lowers:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53346

I got a voltor stock for mine from BCM and it's been a nice combo for me.

*Sorry missed the post about wanting to build your own lower.
    Last edited by pennzoil; 09-28-10 at 09:47. Reason: reading comprehension

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    assembling the lower is over-rated, when there are options like LMT and BCM

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Sorry guys, it's been a minute since i checked my post. I went to the gun show in Chantilly, Va this past weekend. I was like a kid in a candy store, couldn't make my mind up for sh*t. I think i am going to go with a spikes lower or bcm. I like the spkies and I can get a good deal on it. I guess now that I have that jsut about covered, it's the upper receiver I have to worry about. Here in the commi state of MD, we can only have 16'' barrells unless we register it as a class 3. I do wnat to add an flash suppressor but, dont know if it has to be registered as a class 3 as well. Can anybody clearify this issue? I wish I lived in VA(which is closest to me).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    what you're referring to as "class 3" are actually called "title II" weapons and devices. "class 3," if i'm not mistaken, just refers to the type of dealer that can deal in these devices... but it's incorrect to call the devices themselves "class 3." just call them "NFA" (title 2, NFA of 1932)

threaded muzzles and flash hiders are not title II. they may be prohibited in your state, but if they are- there's nothing you can do to legally own them. the NFA (national firearms act) is a set of federal regulations, and each state my add additional regulations- much like yours. the more strict law is the law that applies, whether federal or state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast