Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Help with custom build"

Feedback Score
    I'd just get a cheap LMT lower with SOPMOD, and build the upper yourself.

Or a KAC lower with SOPMOD. I think Grant sells them, if not look up Lawmans.

What kind of sling system are you accustomed to?

I'd recommend the Vickers Quick-Adjust two point, or a CQD Two Point with CQD endplate. (Like that found on the Mk. 18 carbines.)

For barrels, a DD or BCM probably couldn't be beat in terms of quality barrel that doesn't weigh more than the shooter.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    A good place to start when it comes to gun laws is here:

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/

I know nothing about MD's gun laws but, from a brief scan it looks like no major problems as most of MD's restrictions pertain to handguns.

They do have some restrictions on "assault weapons" but those seem to only pertain to buying them, not how they are configured.

It says something about having to take a safety course before buying a pistol or AW.

The restriction you mentioned on 16" barrels is federal law as bkb0000 pointed out and have to do with the federal National Firearms Act.(NFA)

According to the NRA, machine guns, which are definitely NFA, are legal in MD so, Short Barreled Rifles (SBR) with barrels <16" may be as well. There is just a load of hoops to jump through and it can sometimes get tricky with things like CLEO sign offs. A good class three dealer can help you navigate this maze.

While the NRA guide is useful, it is far from complete and your best bet to learn all the ins and out of your local laws is to find a competent gun store in your area.

This can be tricky, as many gun stores are staffed by know it all, armchair commandos, who actually know nothing and spread misinformation enthusiastically.

Generally, the calmer the person behind the counter, the better.

Gun clubs and local shoots can be a good way to meet knowledgeable people as well.

As for building you rifle, look around, decide what you want, ask questions (the more specific the better) and remember there are a lot of products out there that are not that functional but, look and sound cool and are designed to separate you from your money.

Even though I don't necessarily save money by building my lower, I enjoy building the whole rifle from a pile of parts for the satisfaction and knowledge.

As pointed out earlier with a good receiver block to hold it, and a barrel wrench, building an upper is not difficult. Just don't be cheap an skip getting GO and NO-GO headspace gauges to double check. Your eyesight and fingers are well worth the money.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ok, so I went with a lower from a local company in VA. The company is called "Zombie Defense". It was such a good lower, two guys at my ffl ordered one for themselves. I hope to have this at least built up to the entire lower receiver. I am going to go with a Daniel Defense 14.5 upper. As far as sling systems, I'm not sure. I will post pics when i finish color filling the lower.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im just going to prepare you now...the zombie defense lowers are not well like here by many people. So be prepared for the shit storm that comes with that choice.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm not worried about them. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Unless they wanna buy me whatever lower they would like me to have, the negative comments mean nothing to me. Thanks fo the heads-up though!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    whats wrong with zombie defense lowers?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 01-07-11 at 22:14.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Ghost, Contact Mark Hostetter at Precision Arms. He is from your area and would know all of the laws that pertain to you. I don't know his web site off hand but his e-mail is... precars@aol.com.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    whats wrong with zombie defense lowers?
    Zombie defense... a bunch of Auburn and Oregon guys stumbling around the field Monday night after getting shellacked by the offenses...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Standard Complete Spikes lowers are still coming with DPMS LPKs if I'm not mistaken.

I can't think of a worse LPK, so I would avoid complete Spikes lowers (unless they come with the enhanced LPK). It sounds like you're probably planning to get it stripped though, in which case a Spikes is as good as anything else you could get.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Ghost, Contact Mark Hostetter at Precision Arms. He is from your area and would know all of the laws that pertain to you. I don't know his web site off hand but his e-mail is... precars@aol.com.
    Thanks alot!!! Will shoot'em an email sometime today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast