Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressing the urge to have alcohol?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Suppressing the urge to have alcohol?

So, booze is my big weakness, and not in a get drunk and stagger down the street kind of way. In a have a few a night while relaxing type of way.

I've never had issues (DUI's, losing jobs, being an alchoholic, etc), but do love my beer. And it is usually the good stuff, so it is not light.

This is I think, the major problem with me losing more weight. I eat healthy, no sodas, candy, fast food, etc., work out, bike, etc.

Is there a supplement that suppresses your urge to want a drink?

Feedback Score
    Not sure about suppressing it but Antabuse will prevent you from drinking. Frankly it would make you so sick you'd never want to drink again. Though you need or it sounds like you need a program or even a place to safely detox. Depending on how much you are drinking you could put your life at risk by quitting cold turkey with no medical supervision. Best of luck and be safe brother.

BTW love "Wilco" seen them in concert.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
    So, booze is my big weakness, and not in a get drunk and stagger down the street kind of way. In a have a few a night while relaxing type of way.

I've never had issues (DUI's, losing jobs, being an alchoholic, etc), but do love my beer. And it is usually the good stuff, so it is not light.

This is I think, the major problem with me losing more weight. I eat healthy, no sodas, candy, fast food, etc., work out, bike, etc.

Are your way over weight?? If so, then I understand why you want to cut out Alcohol.

If you are not, have a beer once in awhile dude! Lifes to short to cut out the good stuff (like beer). To me personally, life is not worth living if I cannot enjoy a good steak, a beer and a cigar when I want.

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I am the exact same way. Work out 5 days a week, maybe have a fast food meal 2 times a month, don't drink soda etc.. but I LOVE my beer. Couple things have helped me 1) Got married and we have a 1 yr old 2) Just simple moderation. I don't have any drinks during the week but maybe one night if I get together with the boys for wings. Weekends though I will have a couple during the football games. I have just decided it's my one vice and I will do an extra 10 min on the treadmill.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Antabuse won't suppress the urge to drink, and I'm not sure you'd find a reputable doctor that would prescribe it unless it was part of an alcoholic recovery or counseling program.

The definition of alcoholism is pretty variable these days. Someone admitted to the hospital with a history of 2-3 beers every night...they'd typically be on alcohol withdrawal observation protocols. Something to look at more closely if someone has a few beers per night and can't suppress the urge.

Feedback Score
    I love beer too. In fact tons of really fit people love beer.

My theory is that if beer gets in your way of being fit, you have an exercise intensity/duration issue.

That, and you need to make tradeoffs in your diet to be able to have a beer or two a night to make things happen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I might have a few beers, five nights a week. I don't get drunk. But I love to drink those two beers. I want to cut that down to once a week, but that urge to have those two beers.

I am not in need of detox nor a treatment program, the farthest thing from it. Trust me, I live in Austin, I know what alcoholics look like! I was just wondering if there was any herbs or vitamins that cut down that urge.

I'm almost 40 and ride (hills) about 15 miles a day, four days a week. As I have been creeping towards 40, it is harder to lose weight. At first I had my thyroid tested, but it is not that. I'm about 10 - 15 lbs overweight, and just want to get rid of that extra weight.
    Last edited by Wilco; 09-25-10 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The stupid saying that really isn't stupid:

One day at a time!

EVERYONE can quit for one day, just take it ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Feedback Score
    I might have a few beers, five nights a week. I don't get drunk. But I love to drink those two beers. I want to cut that down to once a week, but that urge to have those two beers.

I am not in need of detox nor a treatment program, the farthest thing from it. Trust me, I live in Austin, I know what alcoholics look like! I was just wondering if there was any herbs or vitamins that cut down that urge.

I'm almost 40 and ride (hills) about 15 miles a day, four days a week. As I have been creeping towards 40, it is harder to lose weight. At first I had my thyroid tested, but it is not that. I'm about 10 - 15 lbs overweight, and just want to get rid of that extra weight.
    Bicycle riding is one of the worst forms of cardio/weight loss. Frankly, unless you are on a level track and ride/race, you just don't work that much.

Walking an equivalent amount of time is probably a better weight loss tool

The fatass on the bicycle is a stereotype for a reason. Same thing for that fatass who does MA. Neither bicycling or MA are efficient weight loss tools.

Guess what? As you get older, you will have a harder time losing weight. If you really want to drop some weight, combine cardio with resistance exercise. And quit looking for a "magic pill" to substitute for your lack of will power.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I drnk 3-4 beers 3-5 days a week. My standard is if it starts really negatively impacting your daily life you have an issue. It's not for me. I do hate fast food and soda. I eat lots of rice, chicken, beans, ect. In fact the greasy fast food smell makes me want to vomit.

I doubt I'll ever give up beer. Ijust like the taste and don't let it become an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast