Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS What ammo is accurate 4 U

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great pics, gear and guns

To the "goods" statement....most aspects that are discussed or t&e'd on ARs are not easily measured and so the info is basically just somebodies own perceived benefits or weaknesses. Whereas when specifically discussing precision topics the info is easily measured and can be very scientific in nature...thus info that is vaque, or otherwise not supported by group pics, chrono data, etc can be easily called out and most only post when they have the proper info to share backed by evidence or actual data.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 10-12-10 at 00:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Great pics, gear and guns

To the "goods" statement....most aspects that are discussed or t&e'd on ARs are not easily measured and so the info is basically just somebodies own perceived benefits or weaknesses. Whereas when specifically discussing precision topics the info is easily measured and can be very scientific in nature...thus info that is vaque, or otherwise not supported by group pics, chrono data, etc can be easily called out and most only post when they have the proper info to share backed by evidence or actual data.
    Gottcha. All I'm asking is what ammo/reload is working best for other owners of the LMT and the results. Thank you to those who contribuited. Is their more?

Photo below is 300 yards. Large disc is 12" and was shot with Aussie surplus and LMT. Small disc is 4" and was shot with 43.1 g of RL15 under a 168g AMax with Fed GMM primers in LC brass OAL 2.81.

[imgimg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Feedback Score
    Got my LMT MWS to the 100 yard range. Sitting only on a wood bench with a guy shooting 1 Rem 7mm Mag next to me. Rifle is a LMT MWS with a PRS stock, A2 buffer tube, Heavy Buffer's AR10 spring and buffer. Larue/Harris bipod, Accu-shot monopod. Premier 3-15 MIL-dot scope.

Shot six loads:
    Federal XM80
    PMC Bronze
    Hornady AMAX 168gr
    Hornady FGM 168gr
    PRVI 175gr Match
    Hornady 178gr Superboom

Not the greatest conditions to shoot, I don't like sitting, especially at this range with the table bounce, plus the wood structure makes the monpod wander and rise&lower a bit. Results kind of suck.
    -I'm not the worlds best bench shooter, but the surplus ammo was all over the place as you can see.
    -The Hornady 178gr SuperPerformance popped a primer and I had to have the range officer pull a cleaning rod and mallet to get the bolt unstuck. It also seemed to shoot really high, like a Mil higher than the other loads.
    -Gun seems to like the Amax bullets. The shots were kind of in and arc, and it seemed like it started at the left and the POI moved down and too the right, in general?
    -PRVI 175gr actually shot a 'group'
    -FGM 168gr shot well, didn't get a full 10 shot group.

I'll wait until I go prone with it, but it doesn't seem to have the raw accuracy that I was looking for. Hopefully the SS barrels will help.

The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Cold Dead Hands:

From the sounds of the conditions you were firing under I believe you will be better off in prone. I shot my LMT off the bench frist time out and was disapointed. I then went out and shot prone and paid close attention to the fundamentals and did much better. The left targets top group and the right target are Priv Partizam 168 grain. The lower is BVAC 168 g Amax match. Just curious are the Priv Partizam 175s true OTM bullets or FMJ?
    [img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

Feedback Score
    Johnny Utah! Dude, your pics are HUGE!

At that range I have a hard time getting the fundamentals right. The wood is rough an pitted so the monopod height varies with each shot. Just turning it will move it relative to the grain and mess up the POA. The seats aren't adjustable so you are kind of stuck with what you get.

I'm really down on the stock trigger. It seemed to dry fire fine, but the more I shot it the creppier it got, or at least I started to notice it more. I think I'll swap it for a G-trigger I have in my 3gun rifle.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would agree with Utah as much as it sucks to go prone esp. when other folks are at the range. I just have to have the perfect concrete bench w. a ton more concentration in order to hit the groups I shoot prone from a bench. I have almost stopped shooting bench all together these days and just go prone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The pics posted by "frommycolddeadhand" above mirror what I shot last week with my mws, using winchester q3130 and privi 175.

I am glad to see someone else is experiencing the same lack of accuracy when using surplus ammo that I am. I was shooting winchester q3130 and groups were roughly the same size as yours with federal m80.

I thought one of the requirements for the mws from the brits was to hit a man sized torso at 800yds with combat ammo? Groups like the one posted would not lead my to trust that combination.

I had groupings with 175gr privi that was about the same, but was only 5 shots because I was just getting a rough zero at 100 yards.

I plan to make it back to the 700yd range in the next month and try out some more ammo types and use a nightforce optic. If accuracy continues to stay this run of the mill I will be getting the SS barrel asap.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ajunkie View Post
    The pics posted by "frommycolddeadhand" above mirror what I shot last week with my mws, using winchester q3130 and privi 175.

I am glad to see someone else is experiencing the same lack of accuracy when using surplus ammo that I am. I was shooting winchester q3130 and groups were roughly the same size as yours with federal m80.

I thought one of the requirements for the mws from the brits was to hit a man sized torso at 800yds with combat ammo? Groups like the one posted would not lead my to trust that combination.

I had groupings with 175gr privi that was about the same, but was only 5 shots because I was just getting a rough zero at 100 yards.

I plan to make it back to the 700yd range in the next month and try out some more ammo types and use a nightforce optic. If accuracy continues to stay this run of the mill I will be getting the SS barrel asap.
    Do you think "combat ammo" is the same thing as your most likely South Korean made winc q and Serbian made przi "mil surplus"....The British I would assume have similar quality ammo to the U.S. and our "combat ammo" for out M110's and the like is M118lr...which is the best of the best for accuracy in a .308 imho.

Also you do understand the British guns are not sporting CL 16" but rather the much more accurate 16" SST barrels blackened.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 10-14-10 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    Also you do understand the British guns are not sporting CL 16" but rather the much more accurate 16" SST barrels blackened.
    Even so, are those 1" squares in the pics from Cold Dead Hands? If so even with kinda crappy ammo those results are disappointing, and some of that ammo is decent stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you think "combat ammo" is the same thing as your most likely South Korean made winc q and Serbian made przi "mil surplus"....The British I would assume have similar quality ammo to the U.S. and our "combat ammo" for out M110's and the like is M118lr...which is the best of the best for accuracy in a .308 imho.

I understand the difference in barrels, but I don't think the stainless barrel is going to shoot 1 inch groups with the majority of nato 147gr ammo.

From what I understand(I am thinking I read this on this forum), the brits were intending the mws to be used with 147gr ball ammunition. If I am misunderstanding and the brits are using an m118lr equivalent, then I believe it is easily plausible for 800yd and further torso hits.

As far as the privi ammo it is a match load, not one I expect to shoot tiny groups but better than 147gr ball ammo.

The only groups I have shot with surplus nato spec ammo is using the winchester q3130 with nato headstamp. I would say this ammo is pretty much what is being used by our troops, as far as m80 ball ammo. The federal xm80 ammo "frommycolddeadhand" used to shoot his grouping is "surplus" U.S ammo as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast