Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMT MRP Set-Up ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

LMT MRP Set-Up ?

I'm looking at picking up a 308 MRP. I'm thinking of keeping my Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8X with the Illuminated TMR reticle, and putting a micro red dot on top of that. Any input on my optic selection would be appreciated. The furthest I would be shooting silhouette targets would be 400-500 yards.

Feedback Score
    The LMT MRP looks nice!!!!! Let us know how she turns out. Good luck!!Your choice of optic is superb!!!
    Last edited by trappernana; 09-25-10 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    I would keep that scope. Unless your idea is for a precision rig. I got the LMT for more of a DM application. I see lots of DM type rifles "over glassed". That is to say too much magnification. I believe you need lower power for the field of view and not enough power on the high end to require parallax adjustments.

AnchorStation Guest

On scope #3 now.

Sorry if this turns into a rant but...I'm gonna rant on a bit

Main issue IMO is that the current trend in 308 "Battle Rifles" is being impeaded by the lack of AFFORDABLE optics that allow for the full exploitation of these highly accurate 308 carbines.

IDEAL criteria would be (true) 1x-10 with a daylight visible reticle or a bright center dot. Next must have would be Mil/Mil set up along with a Mil based bracket scale within the reticle either on the side or bottom.

PR and SB and loopy are close at 1-8x offerings but the price point is out of reach for the vast majority of shooters. Yeah I almost bought a KAC but if I had I would be shooting irons for a few years before I could afford glass. Instead I opted for the MWS and I still havent figured out what optic set up is ideal without spending 3K.

Tried a USO sn4 1-6 with JNG MOA reticle. HEAVY but built very well. JNG ret would be great if it were bright enough to use in daylight in an EoTech type role. 6X was a bit underpowered to accuratly range objects past 600yds (12x12 steel plates). I imagine if the object being ranged were a bit bigger it would be easier for example a man sized target which is honestly what this optic was built for. For the rec shooter you may end up wanting more power.

I looked hard at the Elcan 308 1.5-6X. My main gripe with it was the BDC type reticle and lack of usable knobs. This would be a great optic if you are happy with sticking to one load...I beleive it was set up for 168gr, I only shoot 175.

Scope numba 2 was a loopy MK4 3.5-10x. SFP not a real hinderance in a 10X as ranging is almost always done at 10x anyways. Extra magnification and lighter weight was welcomed but the usefulness as a close range optic was severly hindered by the not so bright 3.5x bottom mag.

Scope numba 3 is a USO SN3 1.8-10X. Havent really had a chance to play with this yet but its typical USO quality (exceptional). I hope that the 1.8 bottom power will be a bit more forgiving than the 3.5x loopy but I know I'm kidding myself. I intend to try using a red dot in a piggy back mount. I feel this is the only way to get a rig to do everything I want which is to work equally well from 10-1k yards.

Tall order I know but I feel that eventualy the optics will follow the trend in firearms. Just may take a while to tricke down into a reasonable price point.

Rant off.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorStation View Post

Main issue IMO is that the current trend in 308 "Battle Rifles" is being impeaded by the lack of AFFORDABLE optics that allow for the full exploitation of these highly accurate 308 carbines.

IDEAL criteria would be (true) 1x-10 with a daylight visible reticle or a bright center dot. Next must have would be Mil/Mil set up along with a Mil based bracket scale within the reticle either on the side or bottom.

PR and SB and loopy are close at 1-8x offerings but the price point is out of reach for the vast majority of shooters. Yeah I almost bought a KAC but if I had I would be shooting irons for a few years before I could afford glass. Instead I opted for the MWS and I still havent figured out what optic set up is ideal without spending 3K.

Tried a USO sn4 1-6 with JNG MOA reticle. HEAVY but built very well. JNG ret would be great if it were bright enough to use in daylight in an EoTech type role. 6X was a bit underpowered to accuratly range objects past 600yds (12x12 steel plates). I imagine if the object being ranged were a bit bigger it would be easier for example a man sized target which is honestly what this optic was built for. For the rec shooter you may end up wanting more power.

I looked hard at the Elcan 308 1.5-6X. My main gripe with it was the BDC type reticle and lack of usable knobs. This would be a great optic if you are happy with sticking to one load...I beleive it was set up for 168gr, I only shoot 175.

Scope numba 2 was a loopy MK4 3.5-10x. SFP not a real hinderance in a 10X as ranging is almost always done at 10x anyways. Extra magnification and lighter weight was welcomed but the usefulness as a close range optic was severly hindered by the not so bright 3.5x bottom mag.

Scope numba 3 is a USO SN3 1.8-10X. Havent really had a chance to play with this yet but its typical USO quality (exceptional). I hope that the 1.8 bottom power will be a bit more forgiving than the 3.5x loopy but I know I'm kidding myself. I intend to try using a red dot in a piggy back mount. I feel this is the only way to get a rig to do everything I want which is to work equally well from 10-1k yards.

Tall order I know but I feel that eventualy the optics will follow the trend in firearms. Just may take a while to tricke down into a reasonable price point.

Rant off.
    That is way too much work....should of just bought a NF and been done with it

Feedback Score

Rant off.
    I tried a Super Sniper 3-9 on a M1A National Match last spring. I liked it so much that when I bought the LMT MWS there was no question what scope was going on it. I bought a second SS 3-9. I use these rifles on steel IPSC targets scattered between 300-800 yards and find that the SS 3-9 with FFP and mil/mil is plenty of magnification, it has precise adjustments and no parallax adjustment to slow you down. I have not had parallax issues at all. This scope was specifically designed for this application. Illumination was left off to keep prices down and keep the scope rugged. The design had plenty of feed back from the field. Because of the FFP feature when turned down to 3X for low light or close range shots the bold thick outer part of the reticule "grows" toward the center. This site picture centers the eye on fast close shooting and gives an adequate site picture in low light. A few months ago I set a SS 3-9 and a Trijicon TA50-4 on my nightstand at our cabin intending to check out the low light usefulness. With a faint glow on the eastern horizon I started to glass a meadow from an open upstairs window. I could make out dead standing trees with both scopes. As I played with the scopes I noticed a Doe and a Fawn about 50 yards away feeding and wandering up the meadow. This scope is a 3X amber crosshair model. I had no trouble holding the crosshairs on the deer. I switch to the SS 3-9 and noticed the dark shapes were not deer. rather it was a Cow and Calf Elk. With the bold cross hairs mentioned above I could have placed a shot on either animal. It occurred to me that if it was too dark to see these bold cross hairs on the SS it was too dark to identify my target. Yes a red dot would be nice but not mandatory. Super Sniper is bringing out a daylight visible, FFP, mil/mil 1-4 in a few months. I hope to get my hands on one as soon as they are available. The 3-9 is $599.00 which is what I paid for my first one. I got the second one off their sample list for $499.00. I can't tell them apart. What you discribe would attract attention and I would love to see it but until I do the SS 3-9 is what I'll use. There is not a scope out there that sells for less than $1,200.00 that I would trade for this scope.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    ...PR and SB and loopy are close at 1-8x offerings but the price point is out of reach for the vast majority of shooters....

Unless you are buying used on the USO and Red dot, by the time you buy and mount up both you are most of the way there in $$ for one of the new 1-8 from PR/SB/LP when they finally drop...
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...
    Hank Johnson (D) GA YouTube

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any idea on when the new 1 - 8's are going to be available?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeh View Post
    Any idea on when the new 1 - 8's are going to be available?
    I think they are all past their expected ship dates from SHOT. Last I read was Nov for PR & LP, last quarter for SB.

I keep hearing that trijicon is working on something similar but nothing substantial.
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...
    Hank Johnson (D) GA YouTube

Feedback Score
    I have the Specter DR 1X4 on my MWS. I wanted the X6 but I got a good buy on the X4. I went with it for 0 to 800ish. On my AR10 the mag is a little less than I would like but again, a good opp came up so I have an SN3 1.8X10. Want it for 300 to 1000+. It will hold me over until a X17 comes my way. Then the 1.8 will become an alternate optic in a QR mount for the MWS.
    Last edited by Shane45; 09-28-10 at 13:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast