Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up an E&E bag

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Setting up an E&E bag

Ok so the wife and I are "discussing" the need for an E&E (escape and evade) bag Vs. a BOB. The current thinking is that an E&E bag is to be carried in your vehicle. If TSHTF it is the bag you will use to get from where ever you are when it happens (work, the mall, etc..) to home. Once you are home you will either bug in or bug out.

We've been able to break the questions down into two categories 1) bag type & size and 2) contents.

We're differing on bag type and size. I'm going with the idea of a small civilian backpack or messenger bag with bare minimum provisions to get you through 2 days of walking (12 to 24 miles). My train of thought is to keep your load light for the walk, endure the discomfort, and blend in with the other masses. She says go large or go home, more is better, and be prepared. I think she is making a huge mistake

Next up is what to carry. I'm figuring about 2L of water, compass, space blanket, bug spray, IFAK, knife, pistol, ammo and that is it. She wants to carry a lot more like a poncho, fire starters, etc... Again my train of thought is that you will have to walk a long way, why carry all that crap with you?

So what are your thoughts on an E&E bag

Feedback Score
    In my opinion, there is a huge difference between E&E and Bugging Out. In the case of E&E, it needs to be as light as possible to facilitate speed and also a low profile. You life is depending on your ability to avoid detection until you can arrive at a safe destination. Once you have ensured safety your concerns can turn towards a more long term sustaining.

A pistol with a few extra mags, gps, IFAK, camel back that can be worn on the move, and some high protein energy bars. (something to chew on, each person needs approx 2 liters of water per day ust to maintain.)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    How far do you work from home?

Lets assume "worst case" and you're AT work when it happens, and you need to start your walk from there to get home.

Light and small is good, but if you've got enough for a 12-24 hour hike, and its 48-60 hours from your work to home, it won't do you much good.

Id say estimate how many hours from work to home, and build a bag with the required equipment to cover that walk...whatever it ends up being.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    In Iraq my E&E bag consisted of a small bag that had extra mags, smoke grenades and pencil flares. I also kept a man dress in it, extra cash, bottle of water, Cliff bar(s) and photocopies of my passport and CAC card.

It's purpose was to have something with me in the event that we needed to pop smoke from a vehicle or a site where I was at.

Bugging out is completely different. You will want to take as much as you can carry and possibly have it broke down. For example footlockers with ammo, food, weapons, etc... and then a subload (pack or E&E) bag in the event that you have to bail again.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    How far do you work from home?

Lets assume "worst case" and you're AT work when it happens, and you need to start your walk from there to get home.

Light and small is good, but if you've got enough for a 12-24 hour hike, and its 48-60 hours from your work to home, it won't do you much good.

Id say estimate how many hours from work to home, and build a bag with the required equipment to cover that walk...whatever it ends up being.
    A scenario that allows you to simply walk home is E&E. To Escape and Evade you must be able to move quickly or whoever is following you will have easy work catching your trail. Breaking contact and securing distance from the threat is an absolute priority. You don't need to have enough luxuries to be comfortable. Just survive.

Feedback Score
    I call mine a Get Home Bag.
    I have a Camelbak Ambush 500, It is small but holds what I think is enough.
    The blatter holds 3 liters, I dont keep water in the bladder. I have two 1 1/2 liter bottles, if I need to go, Ill pour them into the blatter.
    There are two pockets which hold 2 spare mags, a small FAK, some energy(snack) bars, a flashlight, and a few other thing that I may need.
    Last edited by CDDM416; 09-26-10 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeross506 View Post
    A scenario that allows you to simply walk home is E&E. To Escape and Evade you must be able to move quickly or whoever is following you will have easy work catching your trail. Breaking contact and securing distance from the threat is an absolute priority. You don't need to have enough luxuries to be comfortable. Just survive.
    Agreed, but the distance WILL determine how much you carry. Im not suggesting you bring your PSP and 14 games to play along the way...

But if the walk is less than 6 hours, realistically you could say you'd be better off travelling with nothing at all. 6-24 or so, you'll want some water/food at the very least. 24-60 youll need a little more...Im not suggesting anyone pack "luxuries"...but figuring out the calories/water required for the trip and getting a bag to fit the required amount should be the goal.

WHERE you're located plays a part in that too. I'll need a little less water living in the Northeast than someone in the south-west...however, if its winter I may want to pack some dry socks, as where that guy in Arizona wont need those. (just an example obviously)...

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE I may want to pack some dry socks, as where that guy in Arizona wont need those. (just an example obviously)...[/QUOTE]

Hehe. I don't know. After a few trips to the Box, dry socks are HUGE on my list. Nothing worse than beating feet all day with soggy boots! Never forget, by day 3 during the the initial battle for An Najaf my socks were so rank that I opted to go without them. HUGE mistake!

Feedback Score
    Old British Army saying:

"Live out of your rucksack, fight in your webbing, survive in your smock".

The inference is that you carry enough on your person in your smock to survive or E&E. My E&E kit, that I still carry when I travel as a civilian fits in one of the old decontamination kit tins.

As a soldier my tin was a tobacco tin, this was put into a pair of fresh socks along with a packet of isotonic drink powder and an 8 * 10 photocopy of a map of the AO and a goolie chit, this bundle was then put into a ziploc baggie and elastic bandded. This bundle was then put into another ziploc and taped down tight with electrical tape.

Tin contents are pretty personal, basically what you think will help you survive: small multitool; compass; fish hooks; needle; thread; fire steel; potassium permanganate; tylenol; etc, etc.

Fresh socks, well you don't know how long you will be out there.

Isotonic drink, get it down ASAP so that you have the energy to move quickly at the front end of your E&E.

Photocopy of map, well no point being lost if you don't know where you are going.

Goolie chit. Your goolies are your testicales. So a promisory note written in the local language stating that if you are delivered alive and intact to friendly forces the finder will be rewarded with many camels.

1st ziploc, acts as waterproofing and also a 1 qt water carrier.

Elastic bands, all sorts of useful purposes including damn fine tinder for starting hard to light fires.

2nd ziploc bag, this is the packaging for the whole thing. If you can not puncture it when unwrapping at time of need then it too can be a useful water carrier.

Electrical tape/duct tape, good for wound wrapping if needed. Generally though you wrap the bundle tight to reduce its bulk and protect the bundle from punctures that allow moisture in.

In the military the bundle is stashed away where it will always be available ... not in a rucksack or belt pouch, it is carried on the person. As a civvy, carry it in your briefcase, car, under your motorcycle seat, desk drawer, college locker wherever it may be useful.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 09-26-10 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keep the ideas coming but keep in mind the scenario I am envisioning is that you work in a medium to largeish city, live in the 'burbs or further out. Your commute is anywhere between 12 and 24 miles. You will be navigating your way home by walking out of the city and through the burbs. I am figuring travel time at about 12 miles a day @ about 3 MPH. Is that fast enough or should more distance be covered Navigation shouldn't be a problem unless you are new to the area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast