Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The State of AR Pistols 2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

The State of AR Pistols 2010

So it's 2010 and the advancements (and understanding) of the AR platform and ammunition vs 10 years ago is lightyears where it once was. That said, has the AR pistol advanced enough to be considered a good option (even in a niche role of PDW?) to be used for serious purposes?

Here's where my head is: I want a rifle, but find handguns to be leaps and bounds more practical than even an SBR for my intended uses if for no other reason than concealability. It's hard carry a carbine and go unnoticed unless it's broken down in which case makes it fairly useless unless you find time and cover to assemble and then deploy it. On the other hand a SBR (pistol caliber or otherwise) with a folding stock might be a better choice but the options there are slim as far as popularity/proven systems that isn't an AK (not that there's anything really wrong with an AK, it's just not a system I'm experienced with). Which bring me back to my original question an AR pistol on a single point sling under a jacket sounds like a good idea to me. I understand that ammo selection is critical but I'm not limited to depending on fragmentation from FMJ ammo as the primary wounding mechanism, I'm just wondering if the short uppers have been improved enough to fill my niche (or if you can think of something that would fill it better).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I know Noveske about to come out with an AR Pistol.

So, I'd figure since Noveske is coming out with one, they must have the bugs ironed out. Man! I bet it will be accurate and reliable.

Last edited by ucrt; 09-26-10 at 17:19. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

I know Noveske about to come out with an AR Pistol.

So, I'd figure since Noveske is coming out with one, they must have the bugs ironed out. Man! I bet it will be accurate and reliable.

Interesting. Any hard data, or is it just rumors?

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "an AR pistol on a single point sling under a jacket sounds like a good idea to me."

To do what, rob a liquor store?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Agreed. The merit of such a gun is all conceptual, and falls well short on practicality. I suspect that the reason we haven't seen more development on the AR pistol side is because they are, by definition, severely-compromised weapons with no clearly-definable role.

The method of employment proposed here would seem to mirror that of the old MAC-10 in some ways, though the MAC-10 was select-fire, in a pistol caliber, and still capable of being fired from the shoulder with a passable stock. On balance, it was a crude bullet hose with very limited utility, and despite it's faults, it was still a weapon with more innate potential than any AR pistol.

Some would argue that controllable, aimed fire from an AR pistol is achievable; if so, it is surely in spite of the weapon's design, and not because of it.

AC

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Agreed. The merit of such a gun is all conceptual, and falls well short on practicality. I suspect that the reason we haven't seen more development on the AR pistol side is because they are, by definition, severely-compromised weapons with no clearly-definable role.

The method of employment proposed here would seem to mirror that of the old MAC-10 in some ways, though the MAC-10 was select-fire, in a pistol caliber, and still capable of being fired from the shoulder with a passable stock. On balance, it was a crude bullet hose with very limited utility, and despite it's faults, it was still a weapon with more innate potential than any AR pistol.

Some would argue that controllable, aimed fire from an AR pistol is achievable; if so, it is surely in spite of the weapon's design, and not because of it.

AC
    I think that you're on to what I'm thinking about, of course all of this is highly conceptual at this point though but I wanted to at least have the discussion so that I could develop the concept or have it evolve in another direction. Basically I'm wanting a "concealable" PDW, the AR pistol might not be the best option but this being an AR forum figured it'd be a good place to start.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    "an AR pistol on a single point sling under a jacket sounds like a good idea to me."

No, to have something on me with more range/capacity than a G19 that would go generally unnoticed in the event that my family and I had to evacuate during a natural disaster/civil unrest (or a combination of both) type scenario.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post

Maybe to have fun with. Maybe for all legal purposes. Maybe it's none of your business. Here's a better question: Why do you need to know?

Feedback Score
    The often overlooked purpose for an AR pistol is to have an SBR length upper of known reliability on hand without having to go through all the cost and hassle of registering an SBR, assuming an SBR is even available in your state at all. It isn't that the AR pistol is an effective weapon - it's not - it's that it simply allows you to have the hardware in the first place.

For example, lets say, for that sake of argument, that having functional NVG's is illegal or highly restricted, but you can own them as a "conversation piece" if you have a bolt on lens cap. Removing the cap is unlawful, but there may come a time where the law doesn't mean a damned thing and it would be really nice to have a pair of NVG's.

I'm not advocating that anyone break the law, just reminding everyone that you may wake up one day to find it gone.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Interesting. Any hard data, or is it just rumors?
    ============================

I talked to a Noveske rep on the phone last week and he told me they are about to come out with it. Sounded like a couple of weeks to me??

Last edited by ucrt; 09-27-10 at 06:55.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast