Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of AR Pistols 2010

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    So it's 2010 and the advancements (and understanding) of the AR platform and ammunition vs 10 years ago is lightyears where it once was. That said, has the AR pistol advanced enough to be considered a good option (even in a niche role of PDW?) to be used for serious purposes?

Here's where my head is: I want a rifle, but find handguns to be leaps and bounds more practical than even an SBR for my intended uses if for no other reason than concealability. It's hard carry a carbine and go unnoticed unless it's broken down in which case makes it fairly useless unless you find time and cover to assemble and then deploy it. On the other hand a SBR (pistol caliber or otherwise) with a folding stock might be a better choice but the options there are slim as far as popularity/proven systems that isn't an AK (not that there's anything really wrong with an AK, it's just not a system I'm experienced with). Which bring me back to my original question an AR pistol on a single point sling under a jacket sounds like a good idea to me. I understand that ammo selection is critical but I'm not limited to depending on fragmentation from FMJ ammo as the primary wounding mechanism, I'm just wondering if the short uppers have been improved enough to fill my niche (or if you can think of something that would fill it better).
    what would you use this for? are you actually going to carry an AR-15 pistol around under a coat? I think AR-15 pistols are worthless. They do nothing an SBR wont do better. If where you live is so shitty you have to carry an AR-15 pistol around under a coat, then I think it might be time to either move, or just start open carrying an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    what would you use this for? are you actually going to carry an AR-15 pistol around under a coat? I think AR-15 pistols are worthless. They do nothing an SBR wont do better. If where you live is so shitty you have to carry an AR-15 pistol around under a coat, then I think it might be time to either move, or just start open carrying an AR-15.
    I think I've answered this question at least twice. I'd use it for the same thing I'd use a carbine for except avoid unwanted attention. I don't live in a shitty area, but under certain circumstances situations can become shitty and under those circumstances open carrying a rifle isn't the best way to be low profile. I didn't think that a semi-concealable PDW was a foreign concept.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I think I've answered this question at least twice. I'd use it for the same thing I'd use a carbine for except avoid unwanted attention. I don't live in a shitty area, but under certain circumstances situations can become shitty and under those circumstances open carrying a rifle isn't the best way to be low profile. I didn't think that a semi-concealable PDW was a foreign concept.
    AR pistols are difficult to aim. If you want something really concealable I'd look into SBR ing a folding stock AK or that Sig 556 pistol. If you got money, look into a transferable UZI or folding stock MP5K. Honestly though, If things are bad enough that you need an AR over a G19, I don't think you're going to have to worry about concealing it. A 10.5in SBR isn't that much harder to conceal than a 10.5in pistol, and it's ten times more usefull.
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 09-27-10 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    AR pistols are difficult to aim. If you want something really concealable I'd look into SBR ing a folding stock AK or that Sig 556 pistol. If you got money, look into a transferable UZI or folding stock MP5K. Honestly though, If things are bad enough that you need an AR over a G19, I don't think you're going to have to worry about concealing it. A 10.5in SBR isn't that much harder to conceal than a 10.5in pistol, and it's ten times more usefull.
    you can legally carry an AR pistol concealed a lot more places than you can legally carry a concealed SBR.
    that said, if things are that bad, legality may be last on the list.

probably investing more time in pistol training is the unglamorous and best solution here.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    you can legally carry an AR pistol concealed a lot more places than you can legally carry a concealed SBR.
    that said, if things are that bad, legality may be last on the list.

probably investing more time in pistol training is the unglamorous and best solution here.
    Thats what I was gettin at.

To me, the whole idea seems really squirrelly. I cant think of anywhere in the CONUS that you would need to conceal carry an AR-15 pistol. I'd rather pack a few extra mags for my P-30. If you carry an AR-15 pistol around under your coat on a daily basis, then somebodies got some serious insecurities. This thread wreaks of arfcom.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Thats what I was gettin at.

To me, the whole idea seems really squirrelly. I cant think of anywhere in the CONUS that you would need to conceal carry an AR-15 pistol. I'd rather pack a few extra mags for my P-30. If you carry an AR-15 pistol around under your coat on a daily basis, then somebodies got some serious insecurities. This thread wreaks of arfcom.
    ARFCOM? Really? I never said or intended to imply that I would carry anything other than a pistol on a daily basis (which is already squirrelly to some people). I think that I'm either not getting my point across or people shut down when it comes to discussing AR pistols and PDWs (both are much maligned in some circles, probably this one too heh).

Believe me though, I'm not neglecting my handgun training it's the most practical tool in the toolbox to me but if I know that I'm going into a shitty situation (like a hurricane evacuation where my family and I have to bug in or bug out: BTDT welcome to the Gulf Coast!) I'd want something with a little more punch than a G19 that won't garner attention. I'm thinking more along the lines of PSD/close protection for my family, not infantryman. Of course SBRs, carbines and rifles are better until it comes to the not getting noticed part. I really want a KAC PDW which is perfect for what I's like but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

I'm a practical fella, and the more I think about it for my own purposes (as Joe Blow Civilian) a weapon that I can't carry on my person at least semi-concealed doesn't seem very practical to me anymore unless I intend to keep it at home all the time. We may disagree on the concept but I don't think that's ARFCOMish despite the hokey image AR pistols/PDWs give off.

Feedback Score
    I find it rather dumb that I can carry a LOADED AR PISTOL in a bag in my car, but I can't carry a SBR in the same condition.

Irrespective of if I ever need to use it, I opt to have it. It's another tool in the tool box, and one I choose to have available.

Good enough reason for me.

I'm interested to see what this new state of the art pistol looks like when all is said and done. If it IS truly $300, then maybe I'll pick one up and turn my pistol into another rifle.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Wow....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    Wow....
    I should clarify a little bit. When I say "loaded" I don't mean cocked, locked ready to rock, loaded.

The law of this piece of land states:

Quote Originally Posted by Loaded Gun Definition
    (5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.
    So just carrying a "Truck gun" with a loaded magazine is considered carrying a loaded rifle, which is a no no in this state.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Well

All the above being stated, an AR pistol, or pistol lower is a good option to have on hand if you travel out of state and those states you travel to do not allow SBR's. Makes having a primary with you easier versus just your EDC pistol.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 09-28-10 at 12:15.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast