Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of AR Pistols 2010

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

my thoughts

If you build an AR pistol like you would an SBR i.e. 10.3-12.5 barrel, minus the stock. You have just made a SBR w/o a stock, but still it is considered a pistol. Put a 1.0 BC on it and a good pistol buffer tube assembly in same length as a carbine, with proper techniques of driving your full length applied to the pistol, you should still be combat accurate to distances that ballistics will allow. Granted on the whole they fill a niche market, but it does give a viable option in non friendly NFA states.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I borrowed this pic from THR, it illustrates the bang for the buck difference your $200.00 SBR fee or an AR pistol doesn't get you.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

nice

Dad has 2 microtech's I borrow 1 when I feel the need to shoot bullpup style.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    I borrowed this pic from THR, it illustrates the bang for the buck difference your $200.00 SBR fee or an AR pistol doesn't get you.

Bull pups have their own set of draw backs. (not saying they are not worth it but the draw backs are there) Crappy trigger generally and mediocre accuracy. (Good enough for what they are designed but nothing to write home about)

Example on accuracy. I had to spend a lot of time testing loads to help my roommate get a load that would consistently shoot 2moa in is MSAR. We found 52 grain match bullets worked best in his gun. Anyway I prefer an AR to any bull pup.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I'm fairly new to the dreaded "BRD". In less than 2 years I've gone from one to five ARs. I have no experience with AR pistols. It seems to me that the best thing they have going for them is the "cool factor" and they look like they would be really fun range guns. I'm not convinced that there is practical application for them, but we all have different opinions, and that is what makes the world of AR 15s so great.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is a good posibility of a shorter stock PDW type set up with this buffer system as well.

Pistol AR's have a limited usefulness, no doubt.

So do carbines with 9 twist barrels to me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I doubt you will ever find much love for the AR pistol on an AR web site.
    I like the last one I built. It has a 1/8 Rainier Ultra Match barrel. It runs great with a small gas port. .056, which cuts down some on the residue in the lower and seems like it would be somewhat less abusive on the parts.
    I will always have one AR pistol lower for the option of carrying in my vehicle, legally loaded, and crossing state lines.

No doubt a stocked weapon is easier to aim. However, I can aim the AR pistol with the foam covered tube against my cheek.

Proper ammunition used in a 7.5" is still lethal. It's not something I would use at 200 yards, but close in, there is no good reason why it shouldn't be effective.
    Triple shock is a good choice for ammo.

Everyone has their opinion of the effectiveness from a short barrel.
    For some it seems, nothing short of a 20" barrel is good to go.

I'll take my chances with a rifle round coming out of a short barrel under 100 yards being effective.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Everyone assumes a 7.5" barrel when you say pistol AR but you can also do a 10.5".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by dbrowne1; 11-29-10 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    "an AR pistol on a single point sling under a jacket sounds like a good idea to me."

To do what, rob a liquor store?
    Maybe to have fun with. Maybe for all legal purposes. Maybe it's none of your business. Here's a better question: Why do you need to know?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast