Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAR Rob Haught Tac Shotgun 9/25-9/26/10, Fuquay-Varina, NC

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    a few more pictures:
    My blasters for the class. The 1100 didn't get any class usage. The 870 had some issues that were fixed by a spare trigger group.

If you do the technique properly you will not be swayed during recoil, as evident in this photo. It works!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Do I see Haught with a 3-point sling on his shotgun?

I'd be interested in hearing some discussion of slings on scatterguns and Haught's thoughts on same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't get me wrong fellas, if I had any visions of social use of the shotgun, I would absolutely leave a sidesaddle on the gun, no doubt. My use from here on out though, will likely only be side matches and the occasional round of wobble trap.

I saw 2 non-ammo related malfunctions. One was a shell fired in the CQB postion that flipped and landed back in the receiver when ejected. The other was a shell loaded backwards in a magazine tube that required some thought to fix. The ammo related malfs were mostly due to Wal Mart bulk packs that we all know are the bottom of the barrel. Some were due to (I think) S&B buckshot that simply wouldn't work in one fellows gun. The ammo related malfs seemed pretty evenly split between Mossbergs and 870s.

My guns are set up to allow use of a BFG Victory sling in nearly the same manner I use them on an AR or AK. That enabled use of plenty of stored up muscle memory when it came to transitions or switching shoulders (not something we covered, BTW). One thing I noticed was the sling mount was about as far out as it would be if you used a side swivel mount on a 20" AR. Since the sling mount was fixed and stuck out from the side of the gun so much, stepping out of the sling into a big neck loop or getting out completely was very easy.

Rob's take on slings was less about what you should use and much more about how to use what you have. We spent a fair amount of time on different modes of carry, from African carry on a plain jane carry strap to use of a 3 point sling. Every style of sling was discussed. Transitions to pistol (with and without a sling) were discussed. Rob does indeed have a 3 point on his gun, I suspect it's a teaching tool to show various modes of carry. He spent as much time out of the sling as he did in it, much more time with the points evened out and used as a carry strap, as seen in some of the above photos.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by VA_Dinger; 09-29-10 at 13:46.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Since the topic of sidesaddles came up -- one thing Rob was very clear on is that the use of a sidesaddle and how you configure it is driven by mission and preference. Some folks like them and/or need them, some folks not so much.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post

Since the topic of sidesaddles came up -- one thing Rob was very clear on is that the use of a sidesaddle and how you configure it is driven by mission and preference. Some folks like them and/or need them, some folks not so much.
    any discussion on:

. sling
    . types of ammo pouch
    . types of sights

Feedback Score
    For sights Rob believes that the bead sight for use with buckshot is probably the fastest way. But you lose accuracy shooting slugs.

Ghost ring sights he believes is good for buckshot maybe a little slower than bead sight and adds to accuracy when using slugs. If just shooting slugs Rob says that rifle sights are best.

Rob has modified his GR by cutting the top of the rear sight creating a large U sight. Still fast like a bead sight and functional with slugs
    Last edited by cfrazier; 09-29-10 at 14:04.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast