Thread: AAR Rob Haught Tac Shotgun 9/25-9/26/10, Fuquay-Varina, NC

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    any discussion on:

. sling
    . types of ammo pouch
    . types of sights
    Slings: Have one. Each has its merits. Rob showed us ways to go from sling carry to ready to roll quickly using a standard carry strap, single point and a two point. We also covered transitions to handgun both with and without a sling. The sling that Rob used looked to be a 3 point Bonnie Packer I think. He used the forward mount off the 1 rnd extension and a receiver plate. It was mainly used for African carry of the shotgun(shoulder slung muzzle down) when instructing.

Ammo Pouch: He recommended a belt with the Safariland two shell holders on it or a belt with elastic shell holders as being the fastest. Other ways such as a dump pouch or bandolero will work. The key is having spare ammo and knowing what is where when it comes time to use it. If you need a slug then know where your slugs are.

Sights have been covered by Cfrazier earlier. I have ghost rings on my shotguns and more that likely will stick with that. Nearly as fast as a plain bead and almost as accurate as rifle sights with a slug. The key is to know where your weapon will place the payload when the trigger is pulled.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Looks like it was a great class and I hate I had to miss it. I see a couple of familiar faces in the class. It's also good to see J. Silk up and about. That dude is a rock star.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Just wanted to chime in and say that this class was my first "Real" Training Course I have taken, and I was very impressed. Thanks to these great instructors Rob (and Tom), the class was instructional, straight-forward, oh and a BLAST!! Rob and Tom were very professional in their presentation of the material, but also kept a great sense of humor about themselves. The stories...can't get enough of those!!

The students in the class were just great to be around. We had a good mix of LE's and "civies" in the class, and I think that kept the class grounded, but the mood stayed pretty light and fun. I certainly enjoyed meeting other M4 members at the class, putting a face with a log-in name.

I've always enjoyed shooting the shotgun, and thanks to this class, I now have the knowledge and skills to further my enjoyment and usage of the shotgun. Hopefully with further practice and using Rob's methodology, I can take my shotgun abilities to the next level. Thank you to Rob and Tom for putting on a world-class training course!

On a personal note, I also wanted to say that it was good to catch up with some old friends: S_Z and 914...see you guys at the next class!!

Thank you to Grey Group for putting on the class, and thank you to AMP and Drake's Landing for hosting us...oh and THANK YOU for policing up all those spent shells!!

(After seeing myself in some of those pics......It is time to go on a diet!!)
    Last edited by KC_in_Bama; 09-30-10 at 22:58.
    I am a "Glock Operator" but I do not play one on TV.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone help me in locating the contact info for the gentleman that shot the marine magnum and wore the vest during the class? I lent him a set of trigger group pins and I still have his bolts to mount his sidesaddle.

Thanks

Carlos

Feedback Score
    Any chance of running this class again in NC next year?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Question. . .

What was the gentleman's reason for wearing the soft body armour during the class. I assume either he want's to "practice like he plays" or was he concerned with richochet?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    His wife made him promise if he took any firearms training he had to wear the vest.
    Last edited by cfrazier; 11-24-10 at 21:48.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrazier View Post
    His wife made him promise if he took any firearms training he had to wear the vest.
    Well if mamma ain't happy then nobody's happy.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Haught View Post
    Just back at work after a long ride home last nite. The class went very well from my perspective. Its always a pleasure to have a group that is as dialed in as this one. We were able to take the program to its limits without any concerns about leaving anyone behind. Weather was pretty warm on TD1 but we coaxed the rain gods into waiting until we were almost done on TD2 before the sky opened up. We had the usual blend of Rem 870's and Mossbergs with a lone Benelli this time. There were no major equipment issues which is testimony to the reliability of these two shotguns as we pounded them pretty hard. Ammo always is a mix of WalMart promo ammo and service loads. Quality control on the promo stuff can vary greatly with some experiencing some extraction issues.

The Drakes Landing facility has a lot of promise for training in the future. Hopefully they will get some shelter for shade on the range I was at as it was a little brutal on Sat.

My thanks to Grey Group for setting this one up and for AMP for all his help. And finally to all the students who worked hard to make this a great class.

Rob
    Rob,

What type of sling do you prefer for the combat shotgun, and what others do you think are OK, also?

-Ron.

Feedback Score
    Ron;

Ive used about everything and Im convinced that its a matter of preferrence and mission. For a lot of applications the straight strap is just fine. Ive used the three point Boonie Packers for years and recently the Vickers sling system. Ive also been known to use a single point at work for SRT use. My advise is to try them all and find what works best for your use. Its tougher to use a sling on a pump action shotgun than a semi, the three point gets in the way sometimes.

Rob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast