Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS as a sniper rifle?

Feedback Score

LMT MWS as a sniper rifle?

My department is going to be sending me to sniper school next spring. It is a pretty small department and so far there are only 2 other snipers. There is ONE sniper rifle that is kept at the PD, so both guys have built their own rifle to keep with them to deploy.

I am planning to do the same, and I would really like to use the LMT 3008 as that rifle. Would I be expecting too much out of it to use it as a sniper rifle, is it more of a very accurate battle rifle? If the LMT is not capable I can save a little longer and buy an OBR or REPR if they would perform much better in that role.

Looking for opinions, especially from some of you guys that already have the rifles, before I drop the cash. Interested in hearing opinions about both the current version and the added possibilities when the 18"SS barrel comes out.

Feedback Score
    I have all 3 of the weapons that you have mentioned. The OBR has the best accuracy out of the box with sub-0.5 MOA capability. The MWS is the least expensive and shoots about 1 MOA in its current factory configuration. The REPR is a 0.5-1 MOA weapon, and you pay a premium for the adjustable gas system, side charging handle, etc. Most of these are not needed for a police precision system.

All are equally reliable (yes, including the REPR).

Although the factory trigger is nice, the MWS accuracy could be improved by upgrading the trigger and the addition of a SS barrel. Once this is done, you may approach the cost and performance of the OBR, but this is speculation. Thus, I say go with the OBR unless you really need the monolithic rail and quick change barrel on the MWS.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-27-10 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My MWS shoots sub MOA with cheaper PRVI match ammo, and a little better with BH, and FGMM. The 18" 5r match barrels are supposed to be released early next year. Throw one of those on there and the result should be EXCELLENT accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that would be a good choice as a sniper rifle for y our dept.

As to you-all quoting MOA group size - are these typical 10 shot groups or an average of 5, 5 shot groups?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Yes, that would be a good choice as a sniper rifle for y our dept.

As to you-all quoting MOA group size - are these typical 10 shot groups or an average of 5, 5 shot groups?
    Amen.....10 shot groups are what measure S/A guns....yet few adhere to this policy.

Feedback Score
    IMHO, the two most accurate AR platforms in 308 on the market today are the OBR and the SR25-EMC (I'll give honorable mentions to GAP and the N6). While the MWS borrows many features from the KAC offering, I've not yet experienced comparable accuracy. This MAY change with new barrel offerings in the future, but my comments are for what comes from the factory today. So, if you want the most accurate 308 AR available today, you have 2 choices. If you go with the MWS, you will spend some extra money down the road on a new trigger and barrel, and take a little gamble that these modifications will improve accuracy.

As for my MOA claims, they are the average of 5-shot groups x5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Amen.....10 shot groups are what measure S/A guns....yet few adhere to this policy.
    Agreed. I used the 5-shot method so that we are all speaking the same language.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    As for my MOA claims, they are the average of 5-shot groups x5.
    So for an average of 5, 5 shots groups, the OBR is under 0.5 MOA?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have spent a ton of money on the AR platform and just don’t see it ever being a .5MOA rifle in either 5.56 or .308 but I don’t own an OPR.

If you’re going to be a sniper and want eyeball accuracy why are you even thing about an AR.? For the money your planning on spending you could have an awesome bolt gun!

It’s much easier to accurately shoot a bolt gun than it is an AR platform plus you’re not going to deal with as many potential train wrecks.

For 100 yards and more realistically half that as LE the bolt gun is the best option.

Feedback Score
    The missing component and what no one is asking is....

If a rifle product (meaning, all of the rifles as a collective) is really 1/2 MOA (and I highly doubt it is) it makes me wonder about reliability. An AI bolt gun does not even claim 1/2 MOA precision. Why? Because they know reliability first.

I would want to know what the free bore diameter is on the reamer. Just one example where someone may look for an edge in accuracy at the expense of reliability.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast