Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense AAR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Home Defense AAR

Guys, just wanted to say that we had a good time and that it was nice to meet all of you.

Everyone did a good job and hopefully learned something out of it.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-03-10 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    It was definitely a good time! The shoothouse brought out all of my bad habits in high speed. "Humbling" was a word I heard from more than one student. I am looking forward to spending more time in the house next year. And now I know what to work on between now and then too.

Big thanks to C4I and Sgt Watson for sharing their skills and insights with us.

Mark
    "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill, 1903.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A lot of the stuff is pretty obvious when you make the mistakes (despite knowing better), but the video really shows what you did wrong.

Sifting through my pics now, I have some good ones (including a piece of perfection choked up). I will post them in a bit.

Feedback Score
    Home Defense post-training impressions:

* If you insist on having a gunfight, have it outside.

* The words "horrible place to do a mag change" are forever stamped on my brain.

* If it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting a few more times.

* It's way too easy to get drawn into the threat; once I saw the gun, the background in the photo-real targets disappeared.

* LEOs need to wear big flashing strobe-light hats or something. I managed to avoid shooting any cops or hostages but it was real close a couple times.

* Thrown shots have to land somewhere which tends to alter the well-being of innocent bystanders.

* My bathrobe needs mag pouches.

* If I strike it rich, I'm going to hire Grant to design my mansion to be the easiest-to-clear residence available; those cross-hallway rooms with doors ajar suuucked.

Had a phenomenal time and learned a ton. Grant and Ben did a fantastic job with a great mix of drills that kept the challenge level high but the round-count relatively low. Walking the catwalk afterward and seeing these videos was invaluable. Truly an awesome and eye-opening experience. Looking forward to taking more of these classes as they become available.

Thanks guys,

-Dan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Stonebridge;769360]

* My bathrobe needs mag pouches.

That is the quote of the week. Glad you guys had so much fun.

Feedback Score
    Nice AAR. Thanks, for sharing.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    Wow, Grant, that is awesome. You could feel the tension. And that was on a one-way range.

I like how you changed where you took the 2nd video after the barrel-sweeping in the first.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkemmerl View Post
    It was definitely a good time! The shoothouse brought out all of my bad habits in high speed. "Humbling" was a word I heard from more than one student. I am looking forward to spending more time in the house next year. And now I know what to work on between now and then too.

Big thanks to C4I and Sgt Watson for sharing their skills and insights with us.

Mark
    This is why this type of training is so important. It shows you your weaknesses like no other training does.

To be good at room clearing, you have to be able to make correct decisions at full speed. Know when to slow down and when to speed up. Use cover properly, stay out of the hallways and doorways and positively ID your target.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Wow, Grant, that is awesome. You could feel the tension. And that was on a one-way range.

I like how you changed where you took the 2nd video after the barrel-sweeping in the first.
    Tension was high. Some guys had to be told to breath while others hands shook so badly that I don't know how they hit anything.

Hackathorn advised me some time ago that being swept was part of the deal (especially when teaching room clearing). I was wearing body armorer and to be honest, I don't get to excited about it any more (as long as their finger is straight).

C4

Feedback Score
    I can see that being part of the deal.

Great offering and a great opportunity for everyone.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast