Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense AAR

Feedback Score
    Definitely guilty of shaking hands. Funny how the human mind works. Truth is, we were in a big wooden box just punching holes in paper yet every guy completely committed to the concept that it was totally serious.

C4: I wish we could've gotten film of you and Sgt. Watson going through the house so we could've seen what 'full-speed' looked like. I know it felt like I took for...ev...er. Using the posted clips as a benchmark, about how fast should that setup be cleared?

Also, when approaching the last room on the left (the one set up so the door wouldn't remain open) I was able to see the 'no-shoot' cop target through the hinge crack. I didn't want to game the drill (and it wasn't my door to potentially put holes in) but what's your thought on engaging a target through that slit rather than working around the concealment of the door?

Thanks,

-D

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Tension was high. Some guys had to be told to breath while others hands shook so badly that I don't know how they hit anything.

Hackathorn advised me some time ago that being swept was part of the deal (especially when teaching room clearing). I was wearing body armorer and to be honest, I don't get to excited about it any more (as long as their finger is straight).

C4
    The three big "OHH SSHHIIITTT" feelings of my day in the house.
    1. I felt like crap after I swept the catwalk on the last time thru. Barrel down, I will tell myself forever.
    2. What the hell! My gun is empty and I am in the open with a bad guy in front of me. I think I missed with my last round. I want my mommy!!!!
    3. You are told that you killed all the GOOD guys except for two.

We will not talk about my square range mistakes.

Great class and many many lessons learned. Thanks again to Grant and Ben!
    Last edited by 1911pro; 09-27-10 at 20:53.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebridge View Post

C4: I wish we could've gotten film of you and Sgt. Watson going through the house so we could've seen what 'full-speed' looked like. I know it felt like I took for...ev...er. Using the posted clips as a benchmark, about how fast should that setup be cleared?
    In two man or one man? In a defensive clear (one man) you should be able to clear that house in under 5 minutes I think. In an offensive clear (two man), you should be able to burn through the house in under 2 minutes.

Also, when approaching the last room on the left (the one set up so the door wouldn't remain open) I was able to see the 'no-shoot' cop target through the hinge crack. I didn't want to game the drill (and it wasn't my door to potentially put holes in) but what's your thought on engaging a target through that slit rather than working around the concealment of the door?

Thanks,

-D
    in the real world, if you can see the threat through the door jam, take the shot.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    This is why this type of training is so important. It shows you your weaknesses like no other training does.

To be good at room clearing, you have to be able to make correct decisions at full speed. Know when to slow down and when to speed up. Use cover properly, stay out of the hallways and doorways and positively ID your target.

C4
    My experience in the shoot house was eye opening to say the least. It was surprising to see how easy it is to record low-quality hits and even throw shots entirely from only a few feet away when the pressure was on.

One of my many lessons learned was not to take the fundamentals for granted. If you’re screwing up at the square range your mistakes will be multiplied substantially in the shoot house. Thanks to Sunday’s instruction I have a list of items I need to work on, and it’s longer than I would like to admit.

Thank you Grant and Sgt. Watson for sharing your insight and expertise with us. I look forward to improving as a shooter and learning more from each of you in the future.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Some pics... Note that I was only able to follow about 2 people through the house and get pics, I have about 100 per person and some of the warm up stuff on the range as well.

Somehow I think this would make a great demotivator poster....

Last edited by orionz06; 09-27-10 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

You can see the badge from the catwalk...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Perfection!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    All of my pics are HERE, if you are gonna save any of the images, save the "original" size, it is the largest.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That looked like an excellent training opportunity.

Did you guys rent out a range or is that Grants personal funhouse?

Feedback Score
    Great pics! Thanks for being our official photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Perfection!
    Are you picking on my poor old G19?
    "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill, 1903.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast