Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense AAR

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkemmerl View Post
    Great pics! Thanks for being our official photographer.

Are you picking on my poor old G19?
    Now who would go and mention anything about a Glock choking up 2-3 times in one low round count day?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    That looked like an excellent training opportunity.

Did you guys rent out a range or is that Grants personal funhouse?
    It is Ft. Harmar's Shoot house (which is a private gun club).

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You can see the badge from the catwalk...
    Lies, damn dirty lies!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thoughts:

Having been through some similar type set ups, this is really the first time I got worked up, and I got very worked up. I felt I was able to still do well, I just didnt. My footwork seemed decent, as well as the gun handling, I was kind of mixed leaving a few rooms. My thoughts were to keep the muzzle away from Grant and go into sul, and thinking about it a little more, I am pretty comfortable shooting from sul, almost more than low ready, so perhaps a little more work with this and I wont feel as weird about it. I crowded cover a little bit, partly because I reverted back to what we did on the range before hand. In my past experiences I have always tried to stay as far back as possible, and this was mentioned afterwards.

My reloads, I should have stayed in a cleared room (that I was a little more sure about clearing) and did a tac reload. I was happy that my natural response after being worked up was to get behind the wall, but in the real world that is not cover. My second tac reload was foolish at best, and as soon as it was too late, I knew what I did wrong. Hopefully it takes being an idiot on video to embed that into my brain.

One thing I noticed that I did that helped me from shooting cops was using the cracks in the doors to see what was there, on the next to last room you can see me do that (sort of), but I probably should have been at low ready rather than showing the cop the muzzle.

Other than that, I am happy I didnt collapse completely, but I definitely wanna get another chance at this for sure.

Other thoughts that are a carry over from a recent class are to slooow down. I didnt win a fastest shooter prize at the Hackathorn class and I dont think Grant issued any certificates this weekend either. Seeing it on video is a good way to remind me of this. I also need to perhaps put a few more shots on target and pay more attention to the target itself. Most of them I was good with, but there was one target where my shots were more towards the center of the target than the vital zones, this is where target selection helps. It also shows that I need to slooow down some more. Make my hits count. Again, looking like a fool might be the best way to break this habit.

I also noticed (and have pictures of) a few people crossing their feet in some of the range drills. I recall Sgt. Watson mentioning this to some, but it is a hard habit to break. It took me a little bit to get over it, and I still have some hesitance at times and want to cross my feet (carry over from another sport), but Ken Hackathorns Advanced class was a good class to bust through this. It also helped with movement in general.

My take away points:

• Slow down
    • Make the shots count
    • Move
    • Slice the pie
    • Slow down
    • ID the target, not everyone with a gun is a BG
    • ID the target, not everyone with armor is a GG
    • Use the cracks in the door
    • Find a good ready position that allows movement and is safe for those you dont want to shoot. This also means a ready position without the finger in the trigger
    • Positin of the gun in your ready position will prevent you from seeing badges
    • No one was told to shoot faster

For a one day session, this was excellent to give a lot of things to work on. In the past I have struggled with what to do, and I believe Sgt. Watson mentioned that anyone can go shoot a case of ammo, but you need a plan. This is again the same point mentioned by others and stressed a lot. 100 plannedrounds is better than a case of shooting.

Another thing that wasn't stressed the whole time, but should be obvious is that people should try their best to take a class. I think I benefited greatly from the past regional group work, but all the pieces came together in my first class. (I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but it is the truth)

Feedback Score
    Now who would go and mention anything about a Glock choking up 2-3 times in one low round count day?
    It was twice... and that gun is probably as old as you! I only keep it to practice clearing malfunctions
    "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill, 1903.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The only gun I saw malfunction was that G19 (GEN 3). This is hands down one of the most reliable defensive HG's in the WORLD.

Lesson learned, everything made by man can and will fail at the worst possible moment (like opening a door and finding a bad guy standing in front of you). Talk about your OH SHIT moments!

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Front Door Entry

I have some good pics (ground level) that I will break up into sections (Front Door Entry, Kitchen, Hallway and Bedroom(s).

What is important (and a good training aid) is to look at how some shooters used cover and how others stood in the open. Also pay attention to foot work. A lot of shooters had the wrong foot forward which caused a weird shooting position and limited their mobility.

C4

Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-28-10 at 09:30.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Bedroom Entry

Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-28-10 at 09:39.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast