Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $1500 Remington ACR for Military and LEO?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Metal Lower? That doesn't seem like it's going to help the weight problem.
    Isnt the Remington Weight Watchers version already a pound lighter in stock form? I would imagine with further weight savings going to a metal lower wouldnt cause too much fat gain.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I was told that the lower was going to be made from aluminum.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Isnt the Remington Weight Watchers version already a pound lighter in stock form? I would imagine with further weight savings going to a metal lower wouldnt cause too much fat gain.
    Even with a skeletonized hand guard, I don't see how Remington is going to get the weight down unless there is a dramatic re-design.

The easiest way to get the weight down on the ACR is to SBR it, or re-contour the barrel if the design permits.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Unless Remington is going with a carbon fiber barrel and filling the whole thing with helium, I don't see any way they're saving a pound on this design. Or maybe they weigh the BM loaded and the Remington empty?

People keep bringing up barrel profile but IIRC M4->A1 profile gets you maybe 3 oz.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    They had the opportunity to seize a sizable chunk of the assault rifle market and now the ACR is a novelty on a gun store shelf about half a step above a SIG556.
    How true, a localshop can't give the Sig's away.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    How true, a localshop can't give the Sig's away.
    Similar experience here. Shop near here wont stock 556s after they could barely sell the ones they had (seems like they sat forever). On the other hand, BM ACRs are often handled, but never bought due to the rediculous price.

SCARs are expensive as well, but are flying off the shelf. I can only assume this is (hopefully) because people are realizing the quality differneces between the two (and their respective companies).

Like many have said, the ACR is great in theory...I like all of the features and especially the controls. All they had/have to do is offer the Remy version to civvys for that 1500 price point (hell even for 2000) and they could own a sizeable portion of the market, as someone else here alread pointed out.

That being said, I am happy so far with my XCR

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Freedom Group should have never bought Bushmaster and DPMS.

They should have started their tactial line of products within Remington-MPD
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-29-10 at 10:04.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    metal lower is mainly there to allow interchangeable grips over the plastic lower. Maybe military specs still require a metallic lower? Maybe the military isnt too keen on a polymer lower just yet?

The bushy ACR lower + folding stock only weighs 2lbs total (i weighed it), the rest of the bulk is the upper, BCG, barrel, piston system. Biggest weight reductions I see is recontouring the barrel. I'm waiting for a lighter weight barrel myself. Cant get a piston gun any lighter than a comparable DI gun. AR is as near minimalistic as you can get weight wise.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think the only way they'll be able to really get the weight down is if they redesign the operating system. The current system is very, very bulky.

If many of the malfunctions that I've read about are any indication, I think it probably will undergo some kind of redesign before it is submitted to the military for trials.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If a system revision is in the works, I can see where a weight savings can come from. Either way, I need to get my hands on the MPD one and see if I need to start saving for that.
    The SCAR has a polymer lower, so that's not it.

They do have the M24E1 momentum going for them, so there's hope.

There's no way an ACR will be playing a favorable weight game with the likes of a SR15, and when DanielDefense rolls out their upcoming handguard system with modular rails and couples that with their CHF Pencil barrels it'll be even lighter. That's not the only goal.

Either way, we haven't seen the SBR length op systems really thrashed for public enjoyment yet, so that's what leads me to agree with J's assessment.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast