Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Essentials of a Precision AR-15

Feedback Score
    Dang. Almost had to call for the dogs to help me find this thread again...

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Actually, right out of the gate Molon posted Without making this overly complicated, you need three basic components for a semi-automatic AR-15 to produce its best mechanical accuracy (technically, precision): a match-grade barrel, a quality free-float handguard and match-grade ammunition
    MistWolf, I wasn't referring to Molon when I addressed sources taking about the Three Bs of Accuracy. I was merely pointing out that it has been my experience that some other folks haven't mentioned the free-float handguard as a major component in realizing mechanical accuracy potential of an AR-15. I thought Molon's post was spot-on.

Thanks again, Molon, for starting this thread. I recently took a step towards the 'better accuracy' realm, and this thread is both timely and very relevant to my interests.
    One doesn't need to be sick to get better.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hikeeba View Post
    ...MistWolf, I wasn't referring to Molon when I addressed sources taking about the Three Bs of Accuracy. I was merely pointing out that it has been my experience that some other folks haven't mentioned the free-float handguard as a major component in realizing mechanical accuracy potential of an AR-15. I thought Molon's post was spot-on...
    Gotcha.

Molon, your post came at a good time for myself as well. I'm gathering the parts to build an accurate rifle length AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hikeeba View Post

Dang. Almost had to call for the dogs to help me find this thread again...

Exactly my point about moving this thread from the AR General Discussion forum.
    Last edited by Molon; 09-30-10 at 20:04.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    To the Moderator who moved this thread from the “AR General Discussion: General topics relating to the AR” forum, to the “Precision Rifle: Bolt guns” forum,

A semi-automatic AR-15 is not a bolt gun.

Molon
    Agreed. This discussion is especially pertinent to AR General Discussion IMO.

Feedback Score
    Good trigger and a real long range cartridge doesn't hurt.
    6mmBR or 6BRX can have 100" less drop and 20" less drift than a 308 shooting 175 SMks at 1000yds.
    6BRX mag and function test video- 95gr SMK with a BC of .480 doing 3180fps from a 22" barrel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je3ulQuG3S0

Feedback Score
    Well launching the projectile in a consistent direction, having the projectile travel the same path far down range consistently (wind drift and whatnot), and how much leeway the shooter has for ranging error (bullet drop) are 3 different issues with a bunch of different solutions.

Within a specific caliber you sometimes cannot greatly improve all three of those things at once, so yes, moving to a different caliber can improve your results downrange. I'm happy enough with my 75gr OTM's.
    Last edited by boltcatch; 10-12-10 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great info, thank you much.

Feedback Score
    Good thread... I built an 18" AR recently for long range purposes. I used a White Oak SPR barrel for the build. I just picked up a Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper. I just need a mount and I can get shooting. I did do somewhat of a barrel break in, but the scope I used sucked and I have not had it out since. What type of mounts do you guys like for this type of platform? I was planning on getting an American Defense Recon unless I get a better recommendation.

Jeremy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Molon,

Did you have the Krieger profiled and cut down, or is that thier standard 20" HBAR DCM version?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    Molon,

Did you have the Krieger profiled and cut down, or is that thier standard 20" HBAR DCM version?

The AR in the top picture in the original post has a 20" Noveske HBAR. The bottom picture in the origianl post has a 24" Krieger VarMatch barrel. I also own a couple of the 20" Krieger DCM HBARs, which of course are outstanding barrels too.

20" Noveske HBAR.

24" Krieger VarMatch

20" Krieger DCM HBAR

16" Krieger "DCM" HBAR

Last edited by Molon; 12-14-10 at 09:27.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast