Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Essentials of a Precision AR-15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Krammes View Post
    Good thread... I built an 18" AR recently for long range purposes. I used a White Oak SPR barrel for the build. I just picked up a Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper. I just need a mount and I can get shooting. I did do somewhat of a barrel break in, but the scope I used sucked and I have not had it out since. What type of mounts do you guys like for this type of platform? I was planning on getting an American Defense Recon unless I get a better recommendation.

Jeremy
    The only suggestion I can make is a LaRue mount. They are the shit.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Digging up an old post to initiate a discussion to see if anything has changed / developed in the last decade in this context. Have certain accessories / attachments been introduced that are now "highly recommended"?

If you read this - what does your rifle setup look like now compared to 2010 or previous? Barrel, optic magnification / brand, etc.. - realizing this is user specific, just attempting to incite from fresh discussion.

I can report that in the last 12 years, I no longer have an 18" rifle for 400+ yards. I no longer have an optic over 1-10x on an AR platform.

Inb4 the OGs just reply with "NO"
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    More companies making comparable barrels, more good choices on optics, maybe a couple more choices with quality triggers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is Pappabear's Geissele, and about the sweetest precision AR set up I've shot.

The main features are the Glass (obviously), the trigger, a good shooting barrel, Atlas pod, and a good suppressor.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Mark - what are you stretching that out to? +700y?
    At what range do you opt for a heavier caliber?
    Being in E.TX.. Ive pretty much abandoned any AR I had that was over 16" with higher end magnification that I had setup for 500y+ due to limited line of sight / bullet impedance by way of foliage.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We shoot it out to 1000 yards. Anything with glass greater than an ACOG we will at least try to get 1000 yard hits. It makes coming back into 500-700 yards less challenging. We're not shooting amazing groups at 1000 due to less than perfect wind conditions where we shoot. But we do aim to hit an IPSC size steel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234