Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 18 Mile Rucksack March, for charity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    Roger, I'm open to ideas, suggestions and input.........and help if it takes off.

If 12 miles is the standard for Infantry that will be fine. What is the weight requirement for that?40lbs is/was the norm. Of course a water station at the 6 mile mark would help.

I think that $100 may be tight for some people though, and at the end of the day the more the merrier. It'd have to be costed: Range fee's; t-shirt; bar-b-q; and a respectable wedge to the nominated good causes.The price to participate could be a donation, then let their conscious be their guide.

Nice idea pistol shoot to start, 12 miles then carbine to finish. A scoring method could be used to determine overall position with a prize or two here and there. I was also thinking [begging] approaches could be made to some of the larger commercial concerns for bits and pieces in that respect. Keep it simple, like shooting steel at various distances 25 to 200 yards. If there's a tie, go to 300 yards or a walk back drill until the last shooter is left.

I was also thinking about building a website and throwing it out to some of the other forums out there in interweb world. Anyone with suggestions in that regard?
    Sounds like a great idea. Hit all the gun forums once done with planning and logistics, and give them a chance to participate. Those that don't march can do Admin duties (RSOs, Range/March Fee Collectors, scorers, cooks, etc...).
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 09-29-10 at 23:05.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    there's gotta be incentive to participate beyond the satisfaction of charity, if you want a big turnout. i'm sure some of the site-sponser merchants would be happy to donate schwag.

be ****in awesome-o if one of the blaster manfers put up a gun

for a chance at a nice stick, i'd make the 2500 mile journey.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Roger, I'm open to ideas, suggestions and input.........and help if it takes off.

If 12 miles is the standard for Infantry that will be fine. What is the weight requirement for that?

I think that $100 may be tight for some people though, and at the end of the day the more the merrier. It'd have to be costed: Range fee's; t-shirt; bar-b-q; and a respectable wedge to the nominated good causes.

Nice idea pistol shoot to start, 12 miles then carbine to finish. A scoring method could be used to determine overall position with a prize or two here and there. I was also thinking [begging] approaches could be made to some of the larger commercial concerns for bits and pieces in that respect.

I was also thinking about building a website and throwing it out to some of the other forums out there in interweb world. Anyone with suggestions in that regard?
    Id shoot you the Air Assault packing list but its been about a decade since I went and that list is long gone. Requirements then were 35lb ruck with whatever contents were on the packing list, LCE/LBV, K-pot, and M16. 12 miler had to be completed in 3 hours, we started right at 5am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    Id shoot you the Air Assault packing list but its been about a decade since I went and that list is long gone. Requirements then were 35lb ruck with whatever contents were on the packing list, LCE/LBV, K-pot, and M16. 12 miler had to be completed in 3 hours, we started right at 5am.
    35lbs? Thought it was 40lbs. Man it has been a loooooog time since I attended AA School. Some units had 40lbs, some 50, some 1/3 body weight for road marches. Thanks for clearing that up.

FYI: Found the AAS packing list, but the packing list doesn't have to be so formal, since very few will have the complete contents on hand. http://www.campbell.army.mil/units/A...PR%2010%29.pdf
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 09-30-10 at 10:36.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    You should see one of the ready to move lists I still have laying around.

I think that if the weight is set at around 25 pounds it will not scare people too much.

Alternatively it could be on a sliding scale:

35 years and under, 35 pounds
    35 to 40 years, 30 pounds
    40 to 50 years, 25 pounds
    50 plus, rucksack optional

Weight not to include drinks or snacks and may be checked at the finish line. Don't be late, don't be light.

Penalty of either $ or points for anything under the required weight.

There could be points for pistol shoot, points for time under 3 hours for the march and points for the carbine shoot.

Pistol shoot, simply 2 * 10 round mags. Course of fire: 10 steel fall when hit targets on a move thru course; change mag; static 10 shots on a bullseye that disappears at end of time. Times and distances to be set.

March, 1 point for every minute under 3 hours.

Carbine shoot. A bit of fire and movement and also accuracy would be nice.

The end result is to have a damn fine weekend and to make some money for good causes.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 09-30-10 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

Alternatively it could be on a sliding scale:

35 years and under, 35 pounds
    35 to 40 years, 30 pounds
    40 to 50 years, 25 pounds
    50 plus, rucksack optional

Schweet!!!! So at my age, someone gets to carry the pack for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12