Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project 1911

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Project 1911

I have decided that I am going to start a new project to replace my old “break my P2000” blog. The HK was just too perfect. I have always had a love/hate relationship with the 1911. I love the potential and the history, but I hate the finicky nature of the 1911.

I have decided that I am going to commit the next 6 months to shooting and customizing my Colt Series 70 reissue. But, instead of sending it to a gunsmith, I am going to do it myself.

I have always been facisnated by customizability of the 1911. You can basically make it exactly the way you want if you have the ducats and a Brownell’s catalog.

To that end, here is my goal:

1. Reliability. My Series 70 has been 100 percent reliable with ball since I tensioned the extractor. Before, it would feed jam on the last round. It was inspiring to be able to fix it by turning it around in the extractor hole and just bend it.

I plan to expand the ejection port to modern dimensions. This should be doable with a dremel and patience.

I really don’t think I am going to do much else, since I don’t really shoot anything but hardball. I might experiment, since the gun did have feedway jams when I tried to feed it 230 grain Hydra Shocks.

2. Ergonomics. I plan to add a Wilson Beavertail. I hate to do this, but the classic design just cuts my hand to bits. It cuts back into my hand, and the hammer nicks me a bit. I can install this myself, but I will need to refinish after.
    I also plan to dehorn the gun. This gun is RAZOR sharp on the edges. Again, I will have to refinish.

I may install a short aluminum trigger. OTOH, the steel one it has now is fine.

3. Hammer. If I replace the grip safety, I pretty much have to change the hammer. I guess I could file down the old one. This necessitates some stoning since the hammer isn’t a pure drop-in part.

4. Bevel the mag well.
    5. Stipple or checker the frontstrap. Maybe.
    6. Night sights. This is the most tricky thing. I can’t do this myself unless I buy a mill (unlikely) or send the sights off to Novaks’. There are some options that use the existing set-up, but the front sights are rumored to fly off.

I also plan to run 500 rounds a week through this baby, not including the week I will be at the rogers shooting school, where I will fire 2000+ rounds in a week.

I will post some pics of the transition as I go along.

Feedback Score
    Congrats at wanting to do the job yourself. I have completed 5 1911 projects and had fun doing so. My first was a Rock Island. It came out great and I'll be bored this winter and will redo the R.I. again with different mods. If you get stuck give a holler and don't forget Blindhogs web site.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P7Guru View Post
    2. Ergonomics. I plan to add a Wilson Beavertail. I hate to do this, but the classic design just cuts my hand to bits. It cuts back into my hand, and the hammer nicks me a bit. I can install this myself, but I will need to refinish after.
    I also plan to dehorn the gun. This gun is RAZOR sharp on the edges. Again, I will have to refinish.

I may install a short aluminum trigger. OTOH, the steel one it has now is fine.
    Have you thought about just dehorning the frame tangs, and reshaping (slightly) the grip safety and hammer?

a few different variations on reshaping the standard gs/hammer:
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/...ht=hammer+bite
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/...ht=hammer+bite

I had a government gs modified (notched) for my commander and I love it; zero bite and retains the classic look...

Have fun with the DIY - look forward to the updates/pics!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    300 rounds Blazer brass today.

Found today that my old 7 round mags will not hold the slide back on the last round. I tried it with 3, (2 metalform, 1 Colt) and all three failed to hold the slide back. My Novak’s 7 and 8 rounders, and my Chip McCormick 10 rounder worked fine. Hmm.

I used my Comptac holster for my pistol drills. I set up three targets and practiced various drills at 7 and 20 yards. The 1911 is a joy to shoot. I don’t think I am going to go with an after-market thumb safety or slide stop. The classic units seem fine.

Anyway, the classic grip safety and hammer are killing me. I actually put a piece of duct tape on my hand to keep it from being cut up any worse.

My pistol has the steel short trigger. I have a long videki trigger that I guess I will install. I tend to shoot to the right with a short trigger (because, having small hands, I am used to having to stretch my finger out a bit more). I think I will eventually replace the Videki with one of the 10-8 triggers that have the fixed overtravel stop.

I have my Wilson Beavertail and the jig. I need to order some files. Any suggestions?

What technique/tools would you guys recommend for dehorning the gun? You could shave with this guns sharp edges (credit to WildAlaska for that joke).

Finally, I suspect cold blue will do until I finish all the metal work, and then I will get some epoxy from Brownell’s and bake on a new paint job.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Linder,

Thanks for that idea. I really like the classic look. Even though I already have the bits and jig I am going to give your idea serious consideration. I think the classic hammer does most of the damage. Maybe I should fit a commander hammer and see if that does it.

Does anyone make a reshaped classic style safety?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    P7,

newer Colt commanders have a notched gs, but it's very narrow, and the one on my 45acp commander tears into my hand.

LEFT = modified gov't gs on my 9mm Commander, RIGHT = stock gs on my newer 45acp Commander:

After a shooting session, how many welts do you have on the web of your hand? If you have one, it's probably the hammer, if you have two spaced evenly, it's most likely the frame tangs pinching you (and if you have three, then you're getting 'em all)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Just one. I grip the gun really, really high. There tends to be a chuck of skin sticking up around the safety.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    P7,

not sure if you've seen this, but John H. & Ted Y. give some good tips on making the stock gs and hammer work:

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/...ck+grip+safety

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Unless you really in tip top shape with your 1911 (marksmanship, gunhandling and manipulation), using it at Rogers would be a detriment to your learning. Regardless, a beavertail grip safety is a must have if you plan to shoot it at Rogers. Since you said the current stock safety and hammer bite you, by the third day at Rogers your hand will be bleeding. The course is doable with an 8/9 round single stack gun, but you won't have any room for mistake.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Hmm, maybe the ol' Glock 17 would be appropriate.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast