Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Military Times article on new 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    300 AAC = 123 gr @ 2300 fps

Sounds like a 7.62x39 but with less case taper. Not being critical, but that is what it seems similar to.

30 REM AR = 125 gr @ 2800 fps (I do not know if these published ballistics are real)

6.5 Grendel = 123 gr @ 2400 fps

7.62 x 39 = 123 gr @ 2400 fps

Feedback Score
    This unit may be 'neat', but I don't see an adaptation of a new cartridge anytime soon. I think you may have a better alternative here:

http://www.knightarmco.com/pdw.html
    Last edited by Coleslaw; 09-30-10 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    lets see...

Germans come up with 8mm Kurz

Soviets/comm bloc goes 7.62 X 39mm

We go 5.56

Combloc goes 5.45

Now, we may be considering 6.8- .30 (7.62) - slower, bigger

Does it sound like a circle?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shred4Him View Post
    The 6.8 is somewhat stuck in limbo. Although effective, it is a niche round at the moment.
    Not what I see, the 6.8 + AR are gaining ground on the hunting side. The "tactical" use is pretty limited to people that are able to practice with cheap 5.56 and have a 6.8 set up the same.

Quote Originally Posted by shred4Him View Post
    If the military doesn't adopt this, then this round could die on the vine. So running out and changing all of your carbines over to this would be foolish right now.
    The 300 Blackout looks the same as or a slightly modified version of a very popular wildcat, the 300 Fireball and the proprietary 300 Whisper(R).

SAAMI legitimate with factory ammo means it will probably obsolete the wildcats.
    Last edited by Todd.K; 09-30-10 at 13:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    SAAMI legitimate with factory ammo means it will probably obsolete the wildcats.

Small companies or individuals inventing calibers is far different than the Freedom Group, which has everything from ammunition to accessories, to complete weapon manufacturing capabilities. The SAAMI angle simply smothers the wildcats.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Does it sound like a circle?
    even the Chinese developed a 5.8mm round and didn't opt for the larger 7.62 stuff. I guess something is going right.

Feedback Score
    Not what I see, the 6.8 + AR are gaining ground on the hunting side. The "tactical" use is pretty limited to people that are able to practice with cheap 5.56 and have a 6.8 set up the same.

The 300 Blackout looks the same as or a slightly modified version of a very popular wildcat, the 300 Fireball/300 Whisper. SAAMI legitimate with factory ammo means it will probably obsolete the wildcats.
    I agree about seeing more and more 6.8 for hunting. I was thinking more along the lines of general and military AR use. However, I didn't state that, so I presented a poorly formed thought.

As for the 300 Fireball/300 Whisper, I had no idea about this round. After a little reading, it seems like it is pretty rare and proprietary. I can see how this new round will probably make them obsolete.

Since Remington will be producing this and the 6.8 SPC, it seems like these rounds could be competing with each other. Two rounds from the same manufacturer going heat to head. Am I wrong with thinking that?
    Last edited by shred4Him; 09-30-10 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The SAAMI angle simply smothers the wildcats.
    Probably. If ammo does indeed become reasonably available at a reasonable price there is little reason to keep making the 300 Fireball wildcat.

Basically there is already a pretty good size customer base of people who know of and want a 300 FB but do not handload.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The 300 Blackout looks the same as or a slightly modified version of a very popular wildcat, the 300 Fireball/300 Whisper. SAAMI legitimate with factory ammo means it will probably obsolete the wildcats.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I actually thought it was a re-branded .300 Whisper at first.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 09-30-10 at 12:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    300 AAC = 123 gr @ 2300 fps

Sounds like a 7.62x39 but with less case taper. Not being critical, but that is what it seems similar to.

30 REM AR = 125 gr @ 2800 fps (I do not know if these published ballistics are real)

6.5 Grendel = 123 gr @ 2400 fps

7.62 x 39 = 123 gr @ 2400 fps
    The 30 BLK has the same ballistic performance as the 7.62x39 but it is far from being just a 7.62x39 with less taper. The 30 BLK from all evidence, is the 5.56 case shortened and blown out to 30 caliber. It can be used in standard AR mags without loss in capacity and uses a standard AR BCG.

This round is aimed at those who want the performance of the 7.62x39 round in an AR carbine. As long as the round functions reliably, we have a clear winner regardless if it becomes the "Fashion Caliber of the Month" or not. Wildcatters have been playing with similar rounds since the introduction of the 223 Remington, along with versions in other calibers.

The article mentions the creators compare the performance of their package with the MP5 family of submachine guns. That should tell you right there what niche they're looking to dominate.

I think this cartridge has the potential to deliver 7.62x39 performance in an AR carbine with none of the attendant problems.

What many don't realize, the AR is the new bolt action rifle. After WWI when the doughboys returned home from Europe, they wanted a rifle they had become familiar with in battle. They'd come to rely on it's power, accuracy and reliability. Wildcatters, such as Newton, developed rounds to take full advantage of bolt actions. The race for velocity had begun.

With the popularity of the AR for much the same reason the bolt action came to dominate the scene, we are seeing a shift in the paradigm. New calibers are being developed to fit these rifles. The AR is more limited than the bolt action as currently only two lengths of ARs are available- 223 length and 308. This and the feed system of ARs among other factors, put a damper on the velocity race. Developers are now enthusiastically exploring other facets of performance.

No matter that the AR Curmudgeons sneer at these developments, it shows there is a healthy and robust interest in the AR, both on and off the battlefield. So what if many of these rounds fall by the wayside? It's happened before and will happen again. Our popular calibers are those that for whatever reason, rose to the top while others faded away into obscurity. If the AR had been lengthened just a tick and chambered appropriately, 223 would have been still born and the better performing 222 Remington Magnum would be the reigning king
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-30-10 at 12:29.

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast