Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tents

Feedback Score

Eureka!

I too swear by Eureka and their customer service. I have a few models including a big Titan Cabin tent. Any of their 3-4 season 2 man tents are a great investment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57235521@N07/5273843527/
    Last edited by EmbraceRealityLV; 12-19-10 at 10:19. Reason: Add Photo Link

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    I've had quite a number of 4-season tents (TNF, Eureka, Bibler, REI, Black Diamond, Mountain Hardwear, Etc.). If you want to buy just about the best out there, buy a Hilleberg (google if need be). Not cheap, but it's as good as it gets. Available in green but not camo.

Feedback Score
    Bibler - Single walled
    Black Diamond, MSR, Mountain Hardware, North Face.

Personally prefer the MSR (MOSS) and the Bibler.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Bravo View Post
    Iraq are the two tents you have shown, the Army's ICT (Improved Combat Tent) a one man light weight tent?

Has anyone out there tried the ICT? Waterproof, condensation durability??
    I have one, I never use it. I pitched it once and realized it was too much work do to at night in the dark if you are tired, cold, wet and hungry.

I guess it is a good camping tent but not a good combat/survival tent. In fact, I would argue that most normal tents are not well suited for combat/survival. The are too big, too heavy, with too many parts and complex set up.

For years I only used two USGI ponchos with bungie cords. One was the ground cloth and the other was used in the 'basha' fashion. Now I use two 'free issue' USMC field tarps:

http://store.us-elitegear.com/usmc-f...arp-p1099.aspx

They are a bit heavier than the poncho but are larger and purpose built for use as a shelter. An interesting side note, the material and pattern make this shelter very hard to seen under NODs. I was using a PVS-14 to observe my own position and if I did not know it was there I wouldn't have found it by just scanning.

The only thing I would even consider replacing it with would be one of the Kifaru para-shelters:

https://kifaru.net/shelter.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Just change the fly

Buy the tent that best suits your application. I'm with Armanti on the survival issue. I always carried a simple bivy sack on back country and climbing trips. Nothing sexy but it will keep you dry and warm.

You can modify a larger tent to suit your needs. Get the one that you like and use the materials mentioned here (tarps, poncho, shelter half, etc.) to rig up a fly in the color scheme that you want. Presto, your bright orange Mountain Hardware tent is now super stealth with a low visual signature.

If you wanted to have a fly that fits perfect, take the bright one that comes with the tent to an upholstery shop and ask if they can copy it in camo (here's where the tarp might come in handy for raw material). I have had a lot of gear tweaked or made from scratch by the pack shop or auto upholstery shop over the years. You would be amazed at that they will do for you if you can explain clearly what you want and help them source materials.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    Buy the tent that best suits your application. I'm with Armanti on the survival issue. I always carried a simple bivy sack on back country and climbing trips. Nothing sexy but it will keep you dry and warm.

You can modify a larger tent to suit your needs. Get the one that you like and use the materials mentioned here (tarps, poncho, shelter half, etc.) to rig up a fly in the color scheme that you want. Presto, your bright orange Mountain Hardware tent is now super stealth with a low visual signature.

If you wanted to have a fly that fits perfect, take the bright one that comes with the tent to an upholstery shop and ask if they can copy it in camo (here's where the tarp might come in handy for raw material). I have had a lot of gear tweaked or made from scratch by the pack shop or auto upholstery shop over the years. You would be amazed at that they will do for you if you can explain clearly what you want and help them source materials.
    Yea I was thinking about getting a cool camo fly made, will have to get a quote and source some material, CADPAT or Multicam would be sweet.

Here's the tent I got for Christmas it's pretty low vis to begin with I believe it's the Civilian model of the Army's Individual Combat Shelter.

Last edited by Tom Swift; 12-30-10 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That's a nice tent. I have had good experince with Eureka.

Check with London Bridge Trading, Tactical Tailor, etc. They may be able to point you to a source for the raw fabric. You could rig up something sweet to fit your tent with a few yards of the right stuff. You could make a exact copy of the fly that came with it. The front of the tent is shaped right, you could even do a full vestibule right down to the ground with a zippered opening. It would cover that whole side and give you an area for gear and cooking.

Home brewed and custom is great. Think it out and go for it. Post us some pics if you do.
    Open the pig!

Quote Originally Posted by hikeeba View Post
    I dunno... A good 4-season tent and subdued colors don't seem to be 'two great tastes that taste great together' in the tent realm. The only thing that comes to mind is the US Marine tent, similar to the one seen here: http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00204.html. I think the real-deal Marine Combat tents are crazy-expensive, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Eureka! makes (or is one of the makers) of the USMC Combat tent I was thinking of. However, that is billed as a 3-season tent. They do make a 4-person Extreme Cold Weather Tent, but that one is really crazy-insane-expensive - and heavy!

Eureka! military tents: http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents.html

If you can handle some colors, take a look at teh MEC Nantak and Lightfield tents. The Nanatak and Lightfield are similar in design to The North Face VE-25, and The North Face Mountain 24, respectively. However, I didn't directly compare the specs of each to the TNF tents. Anyways, the TNF tents have proven to be pretty bombproof over the years, and theirs designs have endured with little changes. I have had a TNF VE-25 since 1995, and it is still rocking. I haven't climbed K2 with it or anything, but it has seen it's fair share of 4-season camping. With two people, the VE-25 is pretty comfy. With three people, it's a little tight. The Mountain 24 and Lightfield are smaller tents, and would be more suited for 1-2 people. Be advised that 4-season tents are heftier than their 3-season counterparts.

If you want to go lighter and maybe a little more 4-season hardcore, get a good bivvy.
    Go with this Tent! I have two and you cannot beat the quality and durability. You can find these at a good price on ebay.

Feedback Score
    I just purchased a MSR Huba Huba (two person) and at least for 2011 these are in a light green color. 3 season and has the option for a added vestibule. I like the low weight/size ratio, and the way the poles are setup gives you more head room than tents with simular footprints. So far so good, I will have it out next weekend and see if I can fit myself ans two littleones in a two person tent.

-As a "Get Home" tent I would opt for the MSR Huba, one of the bivy type setups, or tarps to keep the weight down.

Feedback Score
    I have slept under tarps and poncho's in bug country. Bugs will absolutely drive you insane. No matter how much jungle juice you use.

Poncho's are not worth much in wind as well. If all you want to do is keep rain off then a tarp etc will do.

Bivvy Sacks are OK on a climb where you need light weight shelter when one is out a night or two in good weather. I carry one as an emergency shelter if I may be forced to stay out a night. Bit they are quite uncomfortable and perhaps unsafe in a three day rain storm. There is no place to go to get dry.

After using many tents I have evolved to a two man Black Diamond Lighthouse. If you remove the superflous straps and buckles and the metal line tighteners (use rolling hitch knots) and carry only 4 stakes you can get it to 2+ pounds. We found that 2 bivvy sacks were heavier. That gives you good bug protection, good ventilation, a place to dry out in long term rain and a very warm shelter in a winter blizzard. Yes it's yellow, not tacticool at all.

A little practice pitching it in the back yard will solve the problem of pitchinng it in the dark when tired.

I recently bought a one man Army ICT. After pitching it in the yard several times I think I will stick to the Black Diamond. My Grandkidz will get the ICT as a toy.
    Last edited by 91Bravo; 07-25-11 at 09:30. Reason: Add more thoughts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast