Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tents

Feedback Score
    you cannot go wrong with tents from REI, the one have I have now I can put up in seconds even under adverse weather and it is a tank. The last tent I had from them lasted 10 years of pretty regular use before I finally detected the beginning signs of fabric wear

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Can't go wrong with the Eureka Timberline.
    My brother and I (former BSA's) had two (2-man) of those and did they take a beating. I wish I still had them but I donated them to the BSA years ago.
    "You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a gun alone"- Al Capone

"By the way, it's inches that I'm giving you..."
    - Roman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think my next purchase is gonna be one of the Outdoor Research bivy sacks. I figure something like the Highland with an added tarp if need be will suit me pretty well when going out alone. My only real concern would be rain, but living in AZ, I think I'm pretty much covered there.

I think if you want to get out by yourself, it's a great way to pack light and still be a little more comfortable than just a hammock and a tarp during the summer months. It might be a little light for winter but I think with a good tarp and some thought in terms of placement one could do pretty well even in some mild snow. I would probably step up from the Highland though and go with the Alpine or Advanced. Coupled with a good bag I think you'd be pretty comfortable.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Who makes a good 4 man tent that would last 10yrs or so? Looking for it to be light and easy to pitch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Bravo View Post
    I have slept under tarps and poncho's in bug country. Bugs will absolutely drive you insane. No matter how much jungle juice you use.
    Agreed.

After a trip to Africa I have upgraded my kit with a Catoma Bed Net:

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog...fo.aspx?id=155

In West Africa rain was not a concern and wind was a blessing.

The Army issued it for a while but it has since been removed from the inventory.

The USMC still uses it with the Fly Upgrade Kit:

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog...fo.aspx?id=160

Check out their full line of products. Check out their crew tents if you need a family size tent.

I still think in most cases you really don't need a tent. The one exception would be in an alpine area.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I wouldn't recommend the USMC 4 Season tent for backpacking, that ****er is heavy. We used it in Bridgeport for a while, and while it kept us out of the elements, it was unbearably heavy. (Shown is the squad tent, but Ive used the 2 man plenty of times in the field as well) As seen here:

Ive used the ECWS Bivvy A LOT just on its own, whether sleeping in a shelter, under a tarp, or on the ground, and it has really impressed me. Even in the rain and snow it holds up.

Ive used 3 Season tents in the CO winter and haven't had a problem. Occasionally they will build up quite a bit of condensation, but thats not a big issue. As long as you have a ground tarp and a warm sleeping system you should be fine most of the time. I'm buying either the Mountain Hardware Drifter 2 or the Marmot Limelight 2 for my wife and I to do 3.5 season camping/backing in CO. We have warm bags so I don't foresee an issue.
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 07-30-12 at 01:52.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    I still think in most cases you really don't need a tent. The one exception would be in an alpine area.
    Agreed. BUT, I ****ing hate bugs and prefer the luxury of a tent. I'll carry a few more pounds if it helps me get a better nights sleep in the suck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yep. That is why I recommend the Catoma Bed Net. It has springy fiberglass struts that fold like one of those pop-up laundry baskets.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner70 View Post
    Who makes a good 4 man tent that would last 10yrs or so? Looking for it to be light and easy to pitch.
    I have three go-to tents.
    That being said 10 yrs. or so & light weight are usually not synonymous. UV degradation plays BIG part & role in that kind of durability.

For durability nothing I have used, found or know of beats a Cabela's Geodesic Guide tent. For space, comfort, long term living. protection from elements & in MOST austere conditions.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...3Bcat104779080

I have 4 person tent (depending on your needs, family / tribe size etc.) that is the Cat's meow w/ vestibule & fly. I have had it in HEAVY snow flurries & HEAVY downpour rain. Survived them all just fine.

depending on your needs, family / tribe size etc.

*READ THE REVIEWS* in linky

I also have North face & Mountain Hardware tents. They are superb BUT not equal in the 10 year category. UV degradation is the biggest nemesis long term. Structurally weakens fabrics etc. They will rip after 5-6 years of sustained seasonal use. Ask me how I know.

If your serious about a really good tent that will give you years of return on investment, camping comfort etc. Cabela's Alaskian Guide tent is tough to beat.

HTH & YMMV...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234