View Poll Results: So how many drink there scotch how it should be: neat?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I drink it neat; the way it should be

69 58.97%
  • I drink it with a wee dram of water

13 11.11%
  • I drink it with Ice

33 28.21%
  • I molest it with some sugar infused concoction (Soda, Juice, etc)

6 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotch!!!!! (Really all things whiskey scotch or burboun realted)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I never caught on to rum, except we were doing diving ops in the Caribbean, had some local, home-made rum, and that stuff was the shizzle. Dark rum, high viscosity. Yummmmm.......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had a friend bring me a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh...wow is it yummy!! I actually prefer a bourbon if I had a choice but this Highland single malt has a surprisingly kinda hint of it in there.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    I am a long time scotch and Cognac drinker. Never much on Bourbon. I prefer Oban, but have probably tried over 50 diff Scotch Whiskies. I also like Balvenie. Jamesons is fine for a cheaper alternative. it is "Scotch Lite" to me...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’d be interested in hearing more about rums, from a whiskey drinker’s perspective.
    Rum is my favorite by far.

I'll tell you one that is imo quite unusual. Santa Teresa 1796 - Even if you ended up not being a rum person, I think you would like it in your whiskey collection.

Plantation XO is nice too.

Rum has a tendency to lean towards sweet even for some very popular names. Like Pilar Dark.... you will have maple sugar.

If you like tropical flavors. Do you like the smell of a whole fresh pineapple? Plantation Stiggins Fancy - Says Pinapple across the label. It has aroma and taste of a real pineapple. Not a fake additive.

There is another whiskey thread here, BTW, kudos to whomever necro-d this decade old post, that's the oldest I've ever experienced.

Anyway in the other thread someone told me to get a bottle of Smith & Cross. High proof and holy cow what flavor profile. You can't really drink it so what I was told was make my drink and spash S&C on top. Magic. I am now not without S&C.

I think you have to like making a mixed drink. Now that Santa Teresa or Plantation XO you can sip them.

So for instance let's say you took a couple basic rum and poured them in the bottom of tall glass. Fill with ice. Ginger beer about half way up. The tiniest bit of Selvarey Cacao which is a rum as well. More ginger beer and splash the top with S&C. Stir only the top.

That S&C get's you going, the ice melts, that hint of cacao starts to show up. By the time you get to the bottom you are into a cold rum drink that finishes off what the S&C started. Really nice and refreshing.

There are some other rums if you just want to sip and they all have their own character. Like everything else though they have a hefty price tag.

Diplimatico -- sipper but some say it so sweet it should be a cordial. Pilar Dark sort of the same thing. I don't think I would make a mixed drink with Santa Teresa or even Plantation XO but rum kinda lends itself to making a nice drink. Doesn't have to be a boring drink though. You can make some complex flavors with rum.

I find a lot more variety and enjoyment in rum than bourbon. A lot of Scotch also has a 'taste' to it that seems the same to me. Aside from Laphroaig

I don't know I just think if you put 10 shots of rum in front of someone and 10 shots or Bourbon, Scotch. They will taste a difference in most all of the rum but maybe only some of the Bourbon and Scotch. That could just be me though. Like I say, I tend to lean towards Rum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Rum is my favorite by far.

I'll tell you one that is imo quite unusual. Santa Teresa 1796 - Even if you ended up not being a rum person, I think you would like it in your whiskey collection.

Plantation XO is nice too.

Rum has a tendency to lean towards sweet even for some very popular names. Like Pilar Dark.... you will have maple sugar.

If you like tropical flavors. Do you like the smell of a whole fresh pineapple? Plantation Stiggins Fancy - Says Pinapple across the label. It has aroma and taste of a real pineapple. Not a fake additive.

There is another whiskey thread here, BTW, kudos to whomever necro-d this decade old post, that's the oldest I've ever experienced.

Anyway in the other thread someone told me to get a bottle of Smith & Cross. High proof and holy cow what flavor profile. You can't really drink it so what I was told was make my drink and spash S&C on top. Magic. I am now not without S&C.

I think you have to like making a mixed drink. Now that Santa Teresa or Plantation XO you can sip them.

So for instance let's say you took a couple basic rum and poured them in the bottom of tall glass. Fill with ice. Ginger beer about half way up. The tiniest bit of Selvarey Cacao which is a rum as well. More ginger beer and splash the top with S&C. Stir only the top.

That S&C get's you going, the ice melts, that hint of cacao starts to show up. By the time you get to the bottom you are into a cold rum drink that finishes off what the S&C started. Really nice and refreshing.

There are some other rums if you just want to sip and they all have their own character. Like everything else though they have a hefty price tag.

Diplimatico -- sipper but some say it so sweet it should be a cordial. Pilar Dark sort of the same thing. I don't think I would make a mixed drink with Santa Teresa or even Plantation XO but rum kinda lends itself to making a nice drink. Doesn't have to be a boring drink though. You can make some complex flavors with rum.

I find a lot more variety and enjoyment in rum than bourbon. A lot of Scotch also has a 'taste' to it that seems the same to me. Aside from Laphroaig

I don't know I just think if you put 10 shots of rum in front of someone and 10 shots or Bourbon, Scotch. They will taste a difference in most all of the rum but maybe only some of the Bourbon and Scotch. That could just be me though. Like I say, I tend to lean towards Rum.
    That would be me. It's a decade old, but whiskey is always relevant and worth discussing. Also, it was my original thread, so I felt the necro wouldn't be shunted.

Smith and Cross is a good one to have on hand for mixed drinks. Anytime the wife has friends over (Not so much recently...) and they ask for a mixed drink with rum I always douse it in S&C and it's well received every time. I always get asked what rum I used. Flavorful stuff!

I picked up a bottle of Bulliet Rye on the way home tonight, I couldn't remember if I had tried it or not, it's pretty good for a cheap bottle of rye. High rye at 95% rye in the mash bill. Very strong dill/rye bread tasting whiskey, a little hot and a bit one dimensional but overall I enjoyed it.

I broke out one of may favorite scotches tonight as well. Ardbeg Auriverdes. It kicks you in the face with peat and smoke, in such a good way. It's full of tobacco and dirt and earthy goodness. It is NOT for the faint of heart, however.

Funny thing is, it's a little less smoky and peaty than most Ardbeg offerings. It's one of their lighter examples. Still a tasty Islay explosion!
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Good thread, I’ll have to try some of these mentioned.

I’m a recent convert to Whiskey/Bourbon from only being a “beer guy” but I’m definitely partial to Rye whiskey. My two favs currently are Basil Hayden Dark Rye and Kooper Family Rye distilled out here in TX. Both very smooth and affordable in the $40 range. For a cheap $20 bottle of Rye, Capmaker is pretty good surprisingly.

Blanton’s bourbon would have to be the best non-rye whiskey I’ve tried. Basil Hayden straight would be a second.

Rum, I usually use for mixed drinks but there’s one that comes to mind that I liked straight. Ron Zacapa XO and RZ 23. XO was slightly better but not 3X better than the price would suggest.

Scotch, I tried a “good” one, but it still tasted like I was sucking on peat moss...it must be an acquired taste once you hit the age of 50+

ETA: to round out my Basil Hayden stash, I got a bottle of BH Carribean Reserve Rye that’s blended with Rum. It’s pretty good too, interesting flavor.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-15-20 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Had some family over today and dipped into some special bottles.

Balvenie Tun1509 (Batch #3) and Aberlour 25.

Been a while since I’ve had either and man are they special.

The Balvenie was the crowd favorite.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My go to is Tequila but I enjoy a good scotch/whiskey. However, there's nothing like a good peated whiskey and I haven't had one yet that was too peated

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    A friend has a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel. Someone gave it to him as a gift, and yesterday he gave me about 3 fingers. Now I know why everyone is so big on Blanton's. Smooth, flavorful, nice spice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Scotch, I tried a “good” one, but it still tasted like I was sucking on peat moss...it must be an acquired taste once you hit the age of 50+
    The amount of peat smoke can vary from oppressive to none.

Were you getting scotch a lovers "good" recommendation, or a "good" for beginner recommendation?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast