View Poll Results: So how many drink there scotch how it should be: neat?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I drink it neat; the way it should be

69 58.97%
  • I drink it with a wee dram of water

13 11.11%
  • I drink it with Ice

33 28.21%
  • I molest it with some sugar infused concoction (Soda, Juice, etc)

6 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotch!!!!! (Really all things whiskey scotch or burboun realted)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Good thread, I’ll have to try some of these mentioned.

I’m a recent convert to Whiskey/Bourbon from only being a “beer guy” but I’m definitely partial to Rye whiskey. My two favs currently are Basil Hayden Dark Rye and Kooper Family Rye distilled out here in TX. Both very smooth and affordable in the $40 range. For a cheap $20 bottle of Rye, Capmaker is pretty good surprisingly.

Blanton’s bourbon would have to be the best non-rye whiskey I’ve tried. Basil Hayden straight would be a second.

Rum, I usually use for mixed drinks but there’s one that comes to mind that I liked straight. Ron Zacapa XO and RZ 23. XO was slightly better but not 3X better than the price would suggest.

Scotch, I tried a “good” one, but it still tasted like I was sucking on peat moss...it must be an acquired taste once you hit the age of 50+

ETA: to round out my Basil Hayden stash, I got a bottle of BH Carribean Reserve Rye that’s blended with Rum. It’s pretty good too, interesting flavor.
    Peated whiskey will have a peat moss taste/smell. Some more than others. Just don't drink/buy those. They're all Islay and it's because they burn peat to dry the barley instead of wood. Ialay is the only type that does that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    My go to is Tequila but I enjoy a good scotch/whiskey.
    Don Julio 1942 is nectar from the tequila gods...
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Peated whiskey will have a peat moss taste/smell. Some more than others. Just don't drink/buy those. They're all Islay and it's because they burn peat to dry the barley instead of wood. Ialay is the only type that does that.
    or Talisker from the Isle of Skye.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of Laphroig, Lagavulin, and Oban. I had a chance about 6 years ago to try some 18 year McCallan, and that was damn good too.

I really don't drink nearly as much as I used to, I have a bottle of Oban that I opened like 4 or 5 years ago and it's maybe half full still. I have a bottle of Lagavulin that I bought right around the same time frame that still sits unopened in my pantry next to most of a case of wine, a few bottles of Champaign all from our wedding 5 years ago, a bottle of Kraken rum, and probably some other stuff that I don't remember that its there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Two of the more interesting choices

But otherwise just some Bushmills for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    Two of the more interesting choices

But otherwise just some Bushmills for me.

That "Grants" is a funny little bottle. What is that 2.5 ML's? Where the heck did you come across that?
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    That "Grants" is a funny little bottle. What is that 2.5 ML's? Where the heck did you come across that?
    Saw it at a gift shop in Inverness, bought one each for family and friends. Then I found out you can order it online. https://www.htfw.com/multiple-distil...isky-pack-of-3

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice thread! Currently I’ve been partial to hot bourbons and ryes. I’m a big fan of both Booker’s and Little Book, but it’s a tad expensive to drink regularly. Almost as expensive (now) is my other favorite: Resilient 14. For a little less $$ I found Wilderness Trail with the yellow label- has quite a bit of corn in the mash and tastes great!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A friend of mine and I buy each other stuff when we feel the other would enjoy something we find that isn't an every day find.

He brought me a bottle last weekend, Golden Moon Distillery Gunfighter American Rye Double Barrel.

Finished in French Oak Port casks, which I always find very pleasant. Figgy Raisin undertones with peppery vanilla. Not too sweet, but it's in there and a good corn/rye mix in the mash, kind of a Bourye more so than a straight up rye. It's 100 proof, but not hot at all, very smooth and mellow.

Good stuff for the price. It's a bit of an odd one for a rye, not your typical offering- but I am really enjoying it. Especially after the long week I've had...
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 06-04-20 at 23:58.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m going to look for that one, it sounds just like what I like. In other news, a local distillery is doing a barrel club- I can buy a 5 or 10 gallon barrel and they help me prep the barrel and fill the barrel. They have to age it on premises, but I can come take tastes or even have a party and drink from it whenever I want (within reason) and bottle it when I want- 3 days or 3 years, although she recommends 8-14 months for the five gallon barrel. I’m going to sign up for this when she gets more barrels in about two weeks.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast