Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will BCM make .308 uppers?

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyRifle View Post
    What would you expect BCM to offer that LMT or Larue do not? Not saying that you shouldn't save for the SR25, but I am curious about why you dismiss those other two options so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    LaRue does not offer a barrel other than SS, and the gun is not really setup as a battle rifle.

The LMT while a good gun is a DMR weight weapon and setup at heart.

Think of a KAC EMC but at 2500-3k with a properly profiled CHF barrel. Hopefully closer to 2k with just something like a DD rail, plain CHF barrel, ect.

The 308 market is growing.
    I agree with Belmont. Sure the .308 market is smaller than the 5.56 market, but all of the above mentioned companies coexist in the 5.56 world. I could envision BCM bringing an SR25 pattern gun online without the inherent exclusivity and price of the KAC guns (which are certainly fantastic).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    We can always use more selection in the .308 field. I hope they do - I'd be all over their product.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Could always use some more working .308 AR's.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    Could always use some more working .308 AR's.
    BCM makes non-nonse gear that is affordable. I think the 308AR market could use that. The issue is that BCM is not a 'firearms' company, and I think you need fairly settled technology for them to bring to market.

Seems like their is a lot more voodo and black magic to the 762AR platforms than the 556.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    To get a reliable AR10, you basically have to go back to the original 1950's design and give it modern features like like a flat top upper, quad rail handguards, or a monolithic upper. Lots of proprietary parts. I don't see it happening, but it would be cool if it did.

Modern AR10's are upsized AR15's with varying degrees of parts commonality with the comparable length 5.56 AR. The SR25 carbine, HK417 and LMT MWS are the only modern .308 AR's I'd stake any sort of confidence in. They're all fairly heavy and have not been fielded as much as any of the legacy battle rifles.

If LMT did a 308 that was more like an M16A4, or 16'' middy with a fixed FSB and a bit easier on the wallet, that would peak my interest a bit.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    What would you expect BCM to offer that LMT or Larue do not? Not saying that you shouldn't save for the SR25, but I am curious about why you dismiss those other two options so quickly.
    Personal Preference. BCM makes multiple uppers with every type of configuration you could want in an AR-15. I would assume they would do the same if they made .308 uppers. Having that selection, along with the quality and price, is a huge selling point for me.
    Last edited by NastyButler; 10-02-10 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The only 7.62x51 semi auto guns I'm interested are (in order of preference):

1. SCAR 17s
    2. KAC SR-25 EMC
    3. LMT
    4. Possibly in the future: Colt CM901

My criteria are thus:

1. Gun has undergone extensive .mil testing
    2. Gun is Fielded by .mil
    3. Manufacturer has FIELDED another .308 gun to the .mil
    4. Mfg has other guns fielded by .mil
    5. Gun is recommended by SMEs on this forum and LF.net
    6. Mfg has engineering expertise in-house to ensure .308 gun is well designed and not just a clone/reverse-engineering of an existing gun.

Adding up these criteria would lead me to exclude a BCM 7.62 gun from my list unless it met one or more of them.
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 10-02-10 at 05:32.

Feedback Score
    I'd love to see something in 308 in the ar platform that is a little easier to carry for stalking while hunting.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    What would you expect BCM to offer that LMT or Larue do not?
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    BCM makes non-nonse gear that is affordable.
    The LMT and LaRue are really specialized rifles that are not cheap.

Personally I would like to see BCM start doing their own 6.8 SPC uppers.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

A BCM 6.8SPC lightweight middy in 14.5 with a pinned Battlecomp 1.5 bored out to fit the bullet or a BABC with a DD 12" lite rail system.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast