Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Springfield Armory 1911 Mil Spec – Upgrades, Lessons Learned... [UPDATE]!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Very nice! Will the pistol with a light attached fit a Safariland or other "standard" holster made for a pistol with an integral light rail?
    I haven't tried myself, but I think the consensus is no.

I wasn't planning on making this a carry gun so it wasn't an issue. But, I'm starting to like 1911's so much that my next one will probably remain rail-less for potential carry.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Very nice! Will the pistol with a light attached fit a Safariland or other "standard" holster made for a pistol with an integral light rail?
    Yes, there is a chart over on 10-8 forums that shows what aftermarket rails on 1911's will fit in Safariland holsters. IE, A 1911 with a Dawson rail with an x300 will fit in a Safariland holster that was made for a Kimber Warrior/Springfield Operator and an M3x light and so forth. All sorts of combos out there.

ETA: 8200rpm, nice looking gun. I think if you add a beavertail, add a C&S drop in ignition kit it will be about perfect.
    Last edited by rushca01; 01-21-11 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post

ETA: 8200rpm, nice looking gun. I think if you add a beavertail, add a C&S drop in ignition kit it will be about perfect.
    I agree with the C&S kit, but the beavertail was never an option for this gun. Personally for me, the lack of beavertail is of no significant disadvantage.

Anyone who wants a beavertail would be FAR better off starting with a SA Loaded which comes from the factory with a nicely fitted beavertail. Retro-fitting a Mil-Spec with a beavertail involves grinding the frame tangs, blending the beavertail, and refinishing. It's a job for a true craftsman, not a kitchen table gun plumber. Sure I could fit one that would function, but it would certainly look like a hack job.

Feedback Score
    Good looking weapon. I like all of the new additions as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    ... I think if you add a beavertail, add a C&S drop in ignition kit it will be about perfect.
    You can also "Commanderize" a Govt. Model safety by cutting a relief for the round hammer. It's a fairly simple modification and you get to use your Dremel!

The outside shape of most Commander hammers is very similar whether it is a ring hammer, oval hole or skeletonized.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123