Thread: AR-10 receiver

Feedback Score

AR-10 receiver

Recently I was offered the opportunity to buy an unused Armalite receiver for $225. Prior to being offered that receiver I was leaning towards buying a DPMS style receiver because of the ability to use Pmags. What do you guys think? Is the deal on the receiver too good to pass up or am I better off spending more for a DPMS style receiver and making up the difference in cost in price of the mags?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you buy an Armalite AR10 lower, you're committed to buying an AR10 dedicated upper unless you don't mind the gap at the radius between the upper & lower.

Some feel the KAC/DPMS magazines feed better as early Armalite M14 mag conversions had problems. Armalite committed to M14 magazines because of the magazine ban preventing the new manufacturing of magazines with capacities greater than 10.

Armalite has worked extensively to make changes in their Gen II magazines to ensure reliability.

The advantage of the Armalite receivers, both upper & lower is that they are forged from 7175 aluminum alloy which is stronger than the 7071 alloy used by others. Not that there is anything wrong with 7071. The 7175 is a bit of insurance for a 308 caliber AR.

Your choices boil down to better alloy vs magazine availability.

I cannot afford a KAC and I'd rather have an Armalite than a DPMS. As for other choices, I'd much rather have forged AR receivers than billet receivers
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-01-10 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Armalite

If you decide to go with something other than Armalite? I would like a chance on the purchase of that armalite upper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdan View Post
    If you decide to go with something other than Armalite? I would like a chance on the purchase of that armalite upper
    I was offered a lower receiver not an upper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Armalite

I stand corrected. Thanks