Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Front Sight & Loctite Color

Feedback Score

Glock Front Sight & Loctite Color

Search kept failing on me.

My G19's front sight is fairly loose. I imagine that when I had the GNS installed, they did not loctite it. My question is should I use red or blue loctite when putting on a new front sight?

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I prefer blue for most applications. Most of the time, red loctite requires a heat gun and/or damaging sights to get them off again.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My buddy who is a Glock Armorer uses blue loc-tite for his customers. Never had any issues.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't think loctite even recommends the red stuff for smaller fasteners...

FYI-if you need to heat up a loctited screw to loosen it, try a soldering iron. Keeps the heat just where you want it .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The only time I would use red on a small fastener would be if it was something I never wanted to come out.

Blue is good for most applications but for small screws loctite recommends using their purple colored stuff.

When I get my back ordered Ameriglo front that is what I going to use on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    I prefer blue for most applications. Most of the time, red loctite requires a heat gun and/or damaging sights to get them off again.
    Not only that, but when you're putting the most stress on a gun--firing repeatedly--the red loctite gets just as loose as the blue due to the heat. At least for most gun applications. I would also never use red loctite on a screw that small, as that's just asking to strip it out if you ever have to remove it.

Feedback Score
    I use the purple. It holds well and comes apart only when necessary.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have always used blue. When you take it apart, degrease everything - the area around the hole and inside the hole in the slide, the screw and even up inside the sight (small clean paint brush) using Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Shake the Locktite thoroughly, then apply a small amount on the stub of the sight and on the screw threads. Tighten to about 3 in-lbs (which is very little - thumb and first finger). Check to make sure the sight is aligned with the slide - straighten if need be and wipe off any excess. Wait 12- 24 hours before use.
    It will not come loose again.....

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    I used red, for the front and the rear sight screw as well. When I have swapped the sights in the past, usually when selling a pistol, I just apply some indirect with a heat gun for a few seconds before removing the sights. When you consider how hot the barrel and front of the slide get during sustained firing, I don't believe a little heat from a heat gun is going to damage my sights, at least it hasn't yet I agree blue is fine, but the red is what I always reach for.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Blue. No issues to date with many sight installs over the years.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast